Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Scoliosis, one hip lower than other

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
my wife noticed a few months ago that one of her hips where lower than the other, it very noticable. If she pulls up her shirt you can look at her belt line and its very different, She has alway had the coke bottle figure and now one side still looks like that and the other is almost straight with no curve to it. The doctor has here goiging to physical theropy and they say it want get any better , but can slow it down. Anyone had Scoliosis this bad and what are your results?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rollar64
|

replied June 5th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
chiropractors and osteopath's are trained to deal with these kinds of problems, physios also have some training, it seems however that it is often difficult to get these problems to resolve even after treatment from good practitioners while others quickly improve.

If your wife's hips are uneven its possible that she has some kind of pelvic torsion, its kind of an imbalance in the position of the sacroiliac joints, this condition, and scoliosis are seen together, there is a lot of argument going on in the medical community as to which one causes the other, and as to what causes them in the first place.

There are two different kinds of scoliosis congenital, and adult acquired, the first develops during childhood, and can get really bad, spinal curves of 70 degrees ,and more, the second curves usually don't progress past 30 degrees.

How old is your wife? has she had any accidents or injuries recently? does she have back pain or stiffness?

There is no concences on the best way to treat these conditions at present as your wife is doing physio at the moment you might want to give it a good chance to see if that works if you don't get good results i would consider seeing a chiropractor but i would be very careful on who you choose some of them seem more interested in advocating chiro as the best treatment for every medical condition around instead of concentrating on what some evidence suggests they good for that is some of the muscle and joint problems that affect the spine, and pelvis.

If you are struggling to get results don't accept that it will not get better when people tell you without trying all the options be careful always choose good practitioners.

Good luck.
|

replied June 5th, 2008
she is 32 and has had the scoliosis since she was a child, she has had two kids, she has some back pain but not all the time. they gave here a step to where in here shoe also, buy looking at her stand she don't seem to stand crooked just the hips are odd looking.
|

replied June 6th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
The sideways curvature that is scoliosis can be difficult to see as the spine curves in an S shape or sometimes in a C shape so the torso can look pretty straight, but the spine is curved inside the torso, one way in which it shows is in uneven shoulder height.

You have probably been told that the step in her shoe is to try and bring her hips back to the same height, do you know if your wife has a Leg Length Discrepancy (LLD), this is really common with scoliosis, there are two kinds acquired leg length discrepancy, and congenital the first is due to a misalinement of the pelvis that develops with scoliosis, or is the cause of scoliosis, the second is congenital or develops as a child's leg bones are growing.

I cant really give you any firm advice, but these conditions are usually manageable if you get good treatment, and they don't progress to much, this could be an ongoing problem so it might be a good idea to do some reading about it from various sources and to listen carefully and to ask smart questions of any practitioners that you see.

Good luck
|

replied September 29th, 2010
scoliosis, uneven hips
I have wondered myself if uneven hips can cause or worsen scoliosis. I'm 25, male, and had scoliosis surgery about 5 months ago, doing quite well now. But upon studying my xrays, old and new, my hips are uneven also. I thought maybe my legs were uneven, but when looking closely at the x rays I can see that the top of my femurs, where the leg connects to the hip socket, are completely even, but yet my hips are uneven, so it can't be one leg shorter. My lumbar curve is to the right and my hips want to go to the left with the weight going to my left leg and hips tilting from left to right. My lowest vertebrae, or L5 and L4, tilt to the right with my hips. Our bodies are made to adapt and compensate to different conditions, so one can only wonder is it this tilting that causes the spine to begin curving in order to compensate? When I move my hips back to the right, which seems unnatural but in the mirror is straight, it feels better. I wonder if this is the same with everybody, if simply forcing the hips back the other way into a straighter position the body can re-compensate? Unconsciously I know our back muscles are always trying to keep us upright and straight, so I just wonder if forcing the hips to be straighter it will help with scoliosis. I will continue doing this, and I ask would your wife try this as well, using a mirror if needed, and get back to me? It's worth a shot, maybe we're on to something here.....
|

replied February 24th, 2011
left hip lower than right due to scoliosis
definitely right, I have scoliosis, my spine has moved to the right in L5, this caused that my left hip is lower aprox 14mm than the right one. I am trying a sole of 14mm high just in the left foot to compensate this losing and will continue doing it for about 6 months or 12 it depends on how better I feel then and after x ray evaluation. Meanwhile, everyday feel better, I started this treatment mid january and everything is ok, so far so good.
|

replied June 16th, 2012
I'm 15 years old and have had scoliosis since about 5th grade. It runs in my family along with having bowlegs.I have about a 30 degree curvature in my spine and one of my hips is higher than the other. I've been doing research on a way to possibly realign or somehow "fix" my hips. I've found that corsets are helpful when correcting scoliosis, and I was wondering if it would also realign my hips.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
I have read all of these comments and questions on here so I am now wondering if someone can help me. I am 36-yrs-old and my mom says that when I was born that the delivering doctor told her that my left hip is lower then my right hip. Can I fix this even though I was born with it? I have talked to chiropractors and doctors. They say they can realign me or get me a shoe lifter for my left shoe. I really don't want to have to wear somethhing on my shoe or have to pay high dollar bills for someone else to "straighten" me out. I just want to try stuff at home to see if it will help. Thanks in advance for any help.
|

replied January 5th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
Try stretching your right hip. Tight muscles can make it appear to be higher than the left.

1a) "KNEELING LUNGE STRETCH" (Do a Google search)
1b) "STANDING LUNGE STRETCH" (Do a Google search)
- Front leg up on a step of chair will give a better front-of-hip stretch.
1c) "Supine Groin Stretch" (Do a Google search)
- This is the most gentle stretch for your hips but it can take 20 minutes for the muscles to let go.

You will probably find the right hip is tighter than the left.
|

replied February 27th, 2014
Left hip lower than right
I just recently had a prom dress altered for me, and the person said that my left hip was lower than my right. Is there anything that I can do to get them realigned?
|