Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sciatica and knee problems

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I was in a car acccident back in July 08 which my back was hurt. I was told it was only an accute injury, but the problem persited even after PT. I felt numbness down my left leg and was eventully diagnosed with sciatica. Even as the problem persisted and started limping from the numbness. I then developed a very swollen left knee in Oct 08. I was given steroids to try to help and it did not help. The doctor finnaly did an MRI on my left knee and back. The MRI resultes included a torn medial meniscus and L4-L5 S1 slight herniation and buldging disk. The doctor felt it was better to fix my knee first which I did through surgery in Dec 08. My back problem persisted with numbness in my left side. I then proceeded to get an epidural in March 09 once my meniscus healed. Question is, could my back problems caused my knee injury? And if so, could this happen again? I am not clear on the nerves the sciatia impact and any future problems? I had no prior problems with my knee and I am not a runner. You help is appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The simple answer to your question is yes.

The more involved answer is that your spine problem could very well have been an indirect cause, but not a direct cause.

The body is all connected in different ways and one bone, nerve, joint etc can and very often does affect the other.

The fact that you had a slight herniation and bulging disc at the L4/L5 Si would indicate that you where in pain and not walking correctly, standing correctly and moving correctly.

Indirectly that may very well have begun to weaken some of the core muscles and in turn, weaken the quads that help to support the knee movement.

The knee is the joint in the body that takes the most weight and pressure, more than any other joint in the body.

The slightest off movement can disrupt the weight distribution on the knees and in turn cause problems with the knee, including the meniscus.

The best thing you can do to try and prevent any further problems with your knees is to have strong core muscles, strong quad muscles as well.

If the epidural injection relieves your spine pain, I would suggest you talk with your doctor about a round of physical therapy to strengthen the core and quad muscles.

You will be taught the exercises that you will need to do to keep you cores and quads strong to maintain your spine and knees, how to properly move, bend turn and stoop as well.

These exercises should become an automatic part of your daily life.

If the epidural doesn't work, you will no doubt have to talk to your doctor about a possible surgical approach for your spine and then post op have the physical therapy.

Good luck

Fran
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
thanks
thanks for the reply. This entire process has been very frustrating.
|