Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Schnoodle behavior problem

My husband's family lives in the gulf coast area and had to evacuate to our home during Hurricaine Ike. We had 10 extra people and 8 extra dogs visiting for a week. my 9 mth old schnoodle got along well enough with everyone except the niece. As soon as he could sense her, he growled softly, increasing the volume and progressing to an agressive bark as she neared. I had to keep them separated. What is the reason for this reaction and what can I do to control or correct it. I tried explaining to the pooch that she was family and was not a threat. I just didn't know what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2008
Supporter
I think you need to calmly assert that this beahvior is not acceptable. HAve you ever watched "The Dog Whisperer". He has some great tips. When it occurs, make a tsking sound, or gently tap the bad of your dog's neck. He needs to understand that aggression is not OK.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
I've heard of the Dog Whisperer, but have never seen the program. Is there a book you can recommend?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Supporter
Not at the moment. But you can view many short clips from the show on YouTube...and they might have more information on the National Geographic Channel website. IF all else fails, you might seek help from a dog trainer in your town. S/He can refer you to excellent information sources, I would imagine. Good luck!
|
Quick Reply