Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia Question

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
My husband was very accomplished in high school. He played football, wrestled, and graduated an honor's student. From high school he went into the military. He was in the navy for about a year and a half when he was diagnosed with Schitzophrenia. He was then discharged from the navy. Life for him doesn't have a dead end, or atleast in my eyes. He can still get his Montgomery G.I. Bill to fund for higher education and did this past semester. However, he was very discouraged because he got a D in one of his three classes he took (he was only a part time student, without a job, because he was afraid of over loading himself). Now he wants to quit school. He doesn't think he is going to make it through college. Because of that D, he started talking about how he is a failure, worthless, and even sometime how he should die.
How do I help him cope with anxiety, abnormal thought of worthlessness and being a failure to keep him from self harming?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2009
Schizophrenia Answer A8807
Hello.

I am sorry for the situation your boyfriend is facing. Whatever the diagnosis was earlier, it is obvious that he is depressed at this stage. This may be called post-psychotic depression.

I was wondering if he has been prescribed medicines and is taking them. He may have to add anti-depressants to his treatment regime. Depression is known to complicate a number of mental health problems. Schizophrenia is one such condition.

If he is open to therapy, you should try to seek help of a psychotherapist for him. He needs to replace his core "evaluative" beliefs. You can help him see the situation from a different point of view. Scoring a D does not mean he is not adequate. You could help him understand this.

His self-esteem is very low probably. You could tell him that he should learn to love himself for what he is .... and not what he does or doesn't achieve. Once he realizes that scoring a D is not "that terrible" or awful, he will start thinking more rationally.

I hope this helps.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.