Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia and having children

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Schizophrenia are they allowed to have children, and can social services take the children away

thankyou
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marym221
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
Experienced User
I do not know about social services taking the children. I do know that you have to be careful with the medicine, and talk to your doctor. I know some medicines for Schizophrenia can harm the baby. So be careful.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
I do not want to sound insensitive, but I would advise against it.

My mother has schizophrenia. And as it runs in the family, I got it. I have been struggeling since age 7.

Firstly, I had to grow up in a house that was not stable at all. My mother would snap and take it out on me. Secondly, my mother never discussed the illness with me. I discovered on my own by doing research on the pills she has been giving me and taking herself. It has been realy difficult for me to fit in to society due to this.

If you decide to have a child, please inform him/her early about the risks he/she may have and about your illness. It may be difficult, but will help alot.

Again sorry for sounding insensitive.
|

replied September 12th, 2010
well of course we can have children!! is this Nazi Germany? Not all schizophrenics are raving lunatics who stand beside the road talking to themselves. I am schiozphrenic!! I think it's absurd that you would actually think it's ok to take someone's child because they have a mental illness. What about people with depression? Should you take their children too? You people are absolutely ridiculous. Try doing some research on mental illness!! EDUCATE YOURSELF!!
|

i think its inhumane to have a child and be schizophrenic. I'm schizoaffective I could never wish this illness on anyone...I'm not having kids ..because i dont want them to suffer like me.
|

There is only a slightly elevated chance that your child will have schizophrenia, if both parents are schizophrenic there is only a 30 percent. Chance your child will be. Some might consider it inhumane to never let a new child be brought into the world simply because it might have schizophrenia, but that is the world we live in 2day. I believe its up to god and myself and no one elses businesss
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Slight lol... I have schizoaffective disorder from my grandfather on my dads side...my dad has bipolar disorder..

slightly elevated ...i dont think so...

I dont think its wise at all to have a child and be schizophrenic..

First of all..I would have to go off all my medication...thats dangerous as hell..

I cant miss one dose of medicine without seeing and hearing things.

If you do have a child and take medicine while pregnant you are setting your child up to have horrible birth defects.

Then, there being able to take care of a child..

how is anyone going to be able to give a child a healthy environment to live in if they are schizophrenic... I hurt everyone I love..but they know I dont mean to..how is a child going to be able to understand that.

Hows my child going to feel if a medicine stops working..and I take a knife to my throat..or have a cut two inches deep into my arm and 4 inches long ..10 stiches...

Or

wonder why i cry all the time..and they think they did something wrong..and feel guilty..

or

when i get angry..slam doors..scream...stomp my feet..

they will think thats acceptable behavior..or become scared of me..

It all sucks..
Its not pretty..
I think anyone wanting children and schizophrenic

are extremely stupid.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
I have to agree with sadgurl on this one.

It's inhumane.

In fact having children is always inhumane.

The best that your children get is in a basic way of speaking a really crappy life but with food and shelter, and then they die. They pay their bills if they are lucky while ever so slowly and literally rotting in everyway, and then bam, dead.

It's always dum in my opinion, everybody gets a disease at some point. And if you are lucky, you get to work for sixty years, maybe go out on the weekends, or have a good meal every now and then.

Think about it.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
There are programs out there that help mothers who have schizophrenia. No child should be taken away because of this disorder. We all have obstacles in our life to overcome in order to become more spiritual.
|

replied September 4th, 2011
Have a Baby
I am paranoid schizophrenic (recently diagnosed). I want children and I am doing well unmedicated a lot of the time. I am not violent but am very loving. I want a baby and I will have one.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
No one should have children, because said "child", which they only get to be for a short time, will have a horrible life.

You want your kids to fight a war, or howabout be poor, malnourished, which most people are actually, or work some job that kills them inside for sixty years, that would be fun wouldn't it?

And I like how people say have a "baby". Because you aren't having a baby, they are a baby for an extremely short amount of time, and then you know what happens.

So, we should say, Im going to have a "depressed and hardworking terrorized person that I don't love anymore because they aren't cute enough." That would make more sense.
|

replied March 9th, 2012
i have been with my girlfriend for 2 years now she has 3 young kids from her ex and has recently been told she has paranoid Schizophrenia and she is terified to get help cos she thinks social services will take away the children can and will they do this???? i am still tryin to lean all i can and have not come across anythin on this subject yet tho
|

replied March 9th, 2012
i have been with my girlfriend for 2 years now she has 3 young kids from her ex and has recently been told she has paranoid Schizophrenia and she is terified to get help cos she thinks social services will take away the children can and will they do this???? i am still tryin to lean all i can and have not come across anythin on this subject yet tho
|

replied March 9th, 2012
Experienced User
I’m schizophrenic, and I think it’s in my best interest as well as the child’s not to have children.

I barely have enough energy for myself, let alone a child. When I babysit my 4-year-old niece for merely one day, I’m exhausted to the point of sleeping for several hours afterward. She’s just the sweetest thing, and I love her to pieces, but man, is it exhausting! I don’t know how my sister does it. Then again, she isn’t schizophrenic.

I have a very difficult time dealing with stress as it is without adding to it. You can push adults away when you need some down time, but you can’t do that with your own child. Children have needs that need to be tended to 24/7, 365 days a year. (Sheesh, just typing that made me want to take a nap.) Taking care of a child on a regular basis for 18+ years straight would drive me crazy(er), which wouldn’t be fair to the child and would make *both* of our lives a living hell.

I compensate by spoiling my cat, “Little Miss Fuzzy Face”. She’s much less expensive to feed than a child, and she goes bonkers over the cheesiest of toys. (Speaking of which… I finally found her hiding place for a few of her toys that mysteriously disappeared - SCORE!) My cat is great company, and she doesn’t expect me to carry on a conversation during those times I’m feeling antisocial. When I’m feeling a bit down, I give the little purr purrs a big hug, and I feel amazingly better.

That said… I don’t think anyone has the right to keep you from having children, if that’s what you wish to do. However, if the situation presents a danger to the child, I feel someone should be able to step in and take measures to ensure the child is taken care of properly. I believe this should apply to all families, schizophrenic or not.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Scary thoughts
I have 3 children with a schizoeffective father, its hearbreaking and scary. We found out just last year and our children are 8,7,and 3 now. He went to a treatment hospital and got medication but he hates it and the way it makes him feel and has decided not to take it, were back to square 1... scared for him and sad for my children.
|
Quick Reply