Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia and Adderall

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Please save me the advice if you are not a doctor. I am looking for others who have Schizophrenia and who also take adderall. I am diagnosed with Schizophrenia and take adderall 20mg 5x a week. Without it no school work would get done. My symptoms neither decrease nor increase on the medication, they are always the same and always there. Voices and conversations of people who I know their voice so it is impossible for my brain to recognize it is fake because of the authenticity of the voices.

People can look at me or have known me for many years and do not know I suffer from Schizophrenia however I do withdraw because of it sometimes. I am looking for others examples not people want to point their finger and beliefs onto me.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jjmanning25
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
Experienced User
I'm schizophrenic, but I have never taken adderall, so I won't be able to offer you any advice. And... I'm obviously not a doctor.

Just curious, though... You mentioned your symptoms neither decrease nor increase on adderall, yet it helps you complete your school work. Do you feel the adderall helps you with your focus/concentration?
|

replied March 19th, 2013
I was diagnosed with a severe case of schizophrenia at the age of 15, sense then i have tried many different medications that side effects seemed as if they where to much to handle. I am now 20 and for the last year and a half i have been on Latuda 120mg once a day and Adderall 30mg twice a day.

I hate to admit but if it wasnt for the adderall i would not wake up, i would not be able to function or focus, let alone have any motivation to do anything.

at the same time the latuda have reduced the sensual hallucinations dramatically to where i know only hear and smell odd things that are only a minor problem.

sadly after being on it so long i have started to feel some of the more long term effects and sadly i do feel as if my body and my mental health is addicted to having the adderall being my crutch to live a normal life.

as for making it worse/better i havent noticed any positive symptoms worsen and all the negative symptoms have done a complete 180.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
Yes for sure it helps me concentrate. Without taking my medicine I will sit at my computer for five hours and complete two hours of work, I drift off within minutes of reading. I will snap too it and realize I have been following conversations that are "voices" usually negative conversations about me. With adderall, the conversations are less easy to follow once I get studying, my thoughts are more concentrated, although as I said, they voices are the same in strength.
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Maybe they are actually having positive conversations about you, maybe we don't know what positive and negative means.

I heard that adderall could be dangerous, is it necessary for you? Do you have some other kind've ailment?

Perhaps instead of giving people drugs, we should all allow people to go their own speed, what a concept.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
I havent taken adderall but i hear i helps with study. I just worried about tis side effects, i can drink caffine or i start getting delusional. I dont know if it would be good to "wigg out" in the middle of an exam. also how long does it last for, as in how long does the insomnia last after taking it?? Any help with this would be greatly appriciated:)
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Adderall
Adderall can be very dangerous to take if you have any mental disease, Adderall is an Amphetamine which can cause symptoms similar to Schizophrenia. It can also be very addicting, commonly abused by people with bipolar disorder. When i take Adderall not only does my ADHD completely go away, but i also feel so Euphoric i believe i am emotionally and physically invincible, but eventually it goes away, my body builds an immunity to it but is also dependent on it. As i take more i began hearing things, my eye sight gets blurry, my entire body feels sore, and i reach a level of numbness and loss of touch with reality.

I am not a doctor and have not been officially diagnosed with any mental disease but I am positive I'm crazy, and I have plenty of experience with Adderall. Just be careful, and don't let it become your only source for happiness.
|

replied July 7th, 2012
Depending on the psych meds you're taking, the Adderall may actually be blocking the effects of the psych meds. I was on Invega and was taken off my Adderall after a few weeks when the Invega stopped working because they said they were counterproductive with each other. The Invega never started working again and I went off of it, but I still take the Adderall on an 'as needed' basis, as I have lost my job and have no real reason to need the concentration other than video games and official business.

I'm honestly surprised that you're able to take both. If you don't mind me asking, what anti-psychotic are you on?
|

replied September 7th, 2012
I was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia... Like maybe 2 months ago if that... And have been taking adderall for about a year now because it helps me clear my mind and abe able to have a routine and fight the presence inside me that holds me down... But I'm scared that it might also be making me worse and me not even know it? But it's such a horrible situation because I wouldn't be able to function without it.... I was also recently put on invega so idk. Just looking for advice from others like me... Since I've done research but am still going through it all alone.
|

replied September 15th, 2012
Im schizophrenic and ive taken methylphenidate (similar to adderall) in conjunction with antipsychotics for the schizophrenia.

It doesnt increase my paranoia at all but I do know long term users of stimulants who developed paranoia.

I think the right way to go would be to first find an antipsychotic that treats your schizophrenia symptoms and then add adderall to see if it increases your paranoia or other symptoms.

If you do end up experiencing problems with the adderall there're always alternatives. There's atomoxetine for adhd for eg.
|

replied October 20th, 2012
adderall schizophrenia
I'm schizophrenic and I take adderall 30mg twice a day plus geodon 80mg twice a day as well as an assortment of other meds klonopin remron etc. With only geodon I felt only that the impending doom and krushing anxiety was releaved but I couldn't do anything with only adderall no geodon I might as well have kept a room on reserve at the hospital I have bad reactions to all antipschotics I've taken other than geodon and I think its thiothixine or something like that in that I get increased agitation delusions and hostility. Manely what I've learned (diagnosed schizo bout 3 years ago) is that just because two people have the same disease does not mean the same therapy should be used. Your personal medical ( team) should cater your medication and therapy to treat you and your daily needs I understand your looking for a sort of fellowship amongst the schizophrenic community but I'm sry to say its hard to find. Long story short combination adderall and geodon my quality of life has been grately enhanced but medication therapy and psychotherapy need to be approached on an individuals needs or basicly what's working for me might not work so well for you. But may god be with you and I hope your as blessed as I am to have such a great and understanding family as I have for I'm sure id be dead without them. And I can't believe some jerk posted about try not giving any meds and things will go at there own pace. Unfortunatly people with mental illness are subjected to the scrutiny of ignorant people who have no idea what there talking about but still voice there opinions however there goal is not to try to help you but to make themselves feal better about there lot in life.
|

replied October 20th, 2012
adderall schizophrenia
I'm schizophrenic and I take adderall 30mg twice a day plus geodon 80mg twice a day as well as an assortment of other meds klonopin remron etc. With only geodon I felt only that the impending doom and krushing anxiety was releaved but I couldn't do anything with only adderall no geodon I might as well have kept a room on reserve at the hospital I have bad reactions to all antipschotics I've taken other than geodon and I think its thiothixine or something like that in that I get increased agitation delusions and hostility. Manely what I've learned (diagnosed schizo bout 3 years ago) is that just because two people have the same disease does not mean the same therapy should be used. Your personal medical ( team) should cater your medication and therapy to treat you and your daily needs I understand your looking for a sort of fellowship amongst the schizophrenic community but I'm sry to say its hard to find. Long story short combination adderall and geodon my quality of life has been grately enhanced but medication therapy and psychotherapy need to be approached on an individuals needs or basicly what's working for me might not work so well for you. But may god be with you and I hope your as blessed as I am to have such a great and understanding family as I have for I'm sure id be dead without them. And I can't believe some jerk posted about try not giving any meds and things will go at there own pace. Unfortunatly people with mental illness are subjected to the scrutiny of ignorant people who have no idea what there talking about but still voice there opinions however there goal is not to try to help you but to make themselves feal better about there lot in life.
|
Users who thank jjmanning25 for this post: yodawookie1 

replied October 25th, 2013
can atomoxetine be used in the treatment of schizophrenia? i read in a article that Atomoxetine-Induced Vocal Tics in a Patient With Schizophrenia.
|