Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Scared to death

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
I recently had a CT scan due to reoccurring bronchitis. They found a "tiny subtle 3 mm pulmonary nodule within the left lower lobe at the left lung" There are no other nodules, masses or infiltrates. There is no evidence of pleural effusion or pleural thickening. I'm assuming the later part is good news. To me any nodule where it is not suppose has me worried. I am a 5 yr smoker. I am trying to stop. The scan also said "there is a 8 mm right hilar lymph node node which is non specific from the CT size criteria. No significant mediastinal or hilar adenopathy is evedent. Cardiac and vascular structures are intact. No adrenal masses are evident. I've also had pain down my left arm from my shoulder down my arm and numbness in my fingers. This all has me very worried. Is the hilar lymph node related to the breast or lungs? I had a mammogram that day as well, but didn't get those results back yet. What are the chances of this being cancer? Any help would be appreciated.

Kelli
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2011
These nodules are considered to be non-specific, due to their small size. You should have another CT scan performed in about 6 months, to see if they are enlarging.

These tiny lung nodules are not likely to be causing your shoulder/arm/finger pain (this is more likely to be a problem within your cervical spine, in your neck).

Hilar lymph nodes are the lymph nodes inside the chest, and are related to your lungs.

If you are worried about developing lung cancer, then it goes without saying that you should immediately and permanently stop smoking.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.