Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Scared of Swine Flu

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
User Profile
I suffer from anxiety and have done since I was 16 however I currently terrifired by the outbreak of swine flu. I feel silly worry about this but can't seem to get this off my mind, I constantly scared of death. My partner is due to give birth to my first child any day now and am scared of us or the baby getting ill. I really wish I wasn't like this and could live a normal life. Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
Advanced Support Team
As far as the swine flu, it is normal to be concerned, but keep in mind that if you allow such fears to take over your life - you are actually only reducing your immune system's natural ability to fight off infection.

Stress has been shown to impact the immune system. To combat this, you may want to try some activities which restore balance in your life. From my experience, even 15 minutes of meditation a day can transform your life.

You may also consider something like Tai Chi or Chi Qong... these are exercises which actually boost your energy level (and therefore your immune system).

Congratulations on the upcoming baby. Best of luck to you and your partner. I wish her a safe delivery.
|

replied April 30th, 2009
I also suffer from anxiety so I can understand your concerns. "danielv" advice was excellent--I am going to try that too!

You can also help yourself at this time by keeping your hands washed, avoiding people that are coughing etc. Your mind should be focusing on the joys that new life creates. Congratulations and Be Happy!

Best wishes.
|

replied April 30th, 2009
swine flu
I can understand your anxiety. I always do research on these things instead of just listening to the news because they use fear tactics to keep people watching or listening. The fact is that 36,000 people die a year of the human flu a virus of several strains of which there is no cure. The current pandemic has caused one death to date in an infant that travelled to mexico. That makes sense since infants and elderly are 95% of the population that die of the flu each year. I believe as long as you protect your infant, which you already need to do anyway, all will be well. It also appears the government may be blowing this whole thing out of proportion to cover their butt if and thats a big if this thing gets out of control. All that said maybe being better informed will help relieve you of some stress. Death is nothing to be afraid of however worrying about death won't allow you to live, and that is something to be afraid of. Good luck and god bless
|

replied May 1st, 2009
Scared of swine flu
All of the above replies are excellent, but one more I hope to join them.
36000.00 die each year of flu is NOT a fact.
This is not based on science, this number is pulled out of thin air, according to CDC's own standards, not based on any lab confirmation. The same number has been quoted since 2003. Its an estimate, nothing else,a lage bit of scare mongering, maybe to sell flu jabs.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
You can use a natural Hmeopathic remedy as a preventative such as Oscillococcinum.
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2009
i am just as scared as you guys...if we would quit letting people from other countries come over here then maybe we wouldn't have all these funky diseases spreading and killing us off!!!!!! sorry if i offended anyone but i am soooooooooooooo tired of it!!!!!!! go away and back where you came from so you can kill your own people off!!!
|

replied September 6th, 2012
You people are brainwashed by the media, sad.
|