Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Scared of gall bladder surgery

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi.. I am booked in to have my Gall bladder removed hopefully via keyhole on the 4th of June. I am so scared I have never had surgery before im 30 a single mum have had 2 children and would honestly rather go through child birth again lol...

Im worried about being put to sleep and the recovery of the operation, I have someone to help me for 2 days after surgery but am worried if im not well enough after 2 days what am I to do.

Im hoping for a bit of reassurance I so posse as all doctors tell me is that I will be let out of hospital the same day and that's it nothing about recovery, follow up appointments if there is any.. Shocked
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
In the vast majority of cases, patients do very well with this type of surgery. Assuming that the surgery can be completed laparoscopically, patients typically go home on the same day as their surgery. You will be sore for a few days thereafter, but most people are back to their normal routine activities within a couple of weeks of surgery.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Please don't worry, I can relate to exactly what your going through. I'm a 38M that just had my gallladder removed less than 2 weeks ago. I was so scared and almost got cold feet but I knew it had to be done. Mine was infected and if I didn't do it I could have died. I feel much better and I finally can eat again, although I watch my foods carefully. But on some advice after your surgery make sure you stay in bed and don't walk around after your surgery. Because I started walking around because the drugs masked my pain, but I paid the price with bleeding and severe pain the next 3 days. Make sure you have someone with you during your surgery, this will make you feel better. Everything will be just fine..Good luck.
|

replied June 8th, 2010
day 4 of recovery
Hi i have had my surgery ,on day 4 of recovery ... i am still feeling terrible, thought that by now i would be feeling a little better am in so much pain still.. doctor came out yesterday to check me over, as have bruising round one of my incisions and the pain is still really bad he upped my dose of medication and also told me to bed rest for a bit. how long will it be till this pain eases enough to start to get back to normal.. was told it would only be 2 days until i was starting to get back to normal... think i need a new body ...advice would be good on recovery ..thankyou
|

replied June 8th, 2010
surgery recovery day 7
Hi, I just had my gallbladder out on June 1,2010, after a year of pain. Had every test known to mankind and here it was my gallbladder(non functioning-no stones). Everyone I talked to that had this surgery said just a few days and you will feel great. Now i feel like a wimp!! Having upper abdominal pain, nurse says it is just the healing process and I am only bearly a week post-op. Made me feel a little better. I was told to walk around as much as possible to get the gas out(from surgery) and to get everything moving. Maybe i overdid it.Husband says to look to the positve side ,the original pain will be gone and so will this , just give it time but after a year of pain I guess I expected too much!! Going to try and get past the 2 week mark and hope for great results!!! The orignal pain seems to be gone, but who knows if this pain is covering it!! Good luck with your recovery!! Heavenskiss i told my husband yesterday i need a new body too!! We r all in the same boat--looking forward to good times!!!
|

replied June 9th, 2010
Hi, My recovery has been OK so far. I'm about 3 1/2 weeks from my surgery and just starting to feel like my old self again. Even though I go #2 four times a day and sometimes go right after a meal. I have to say I still can't eat any fatty foods. I ate pizza hut last Friday and felt like garbage for a day and a half. I think the key is to eat everything in moderation. Keep a positive mind, I know it's hard but we can do it. Your pain should be getting better very soon. My doctor told me not to jog, run or do any sit-ups for 6 weeks. Watch a funny movie and keep your spirits up and be happy! You can do it!

Stay away from Hamburgers, steaks, and any fatty foods for a while. I find that Chicken goes down very good for me.

Good luck!
|

replied June 10th, 2010
Day 6 of recovery still feeling terrible... having trouble opening my bowels not been for 3 days even tho taking lactulose bloody body... split with b/f yesterday also so dealing with a broken body and a broken heart... not having much luck.. need a good rant trying to keep my spirts up as not good for recovery even tho i just want to sit and cry
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Day 12 of recovery... so much for 3 days and i can go back to work and normal daily activity's, my head wants to do all the normal activity's but the body just is unable to. im still having to take regular pain relief and as a taxi driver am unable to go back to work as am to sore to drive for to long.Am having alot of pain and pulling in my navel incision and also recovering a infection in the navel incision.. i still have alot of glue round all my incisions sites and after walking and standing for to long i get alot of pain right over my entire tummy and up into my chest and back.. yesterday i had horrendous pain, the same pain i was getting when i had a gallbladder attack... i still have problems opening my bowels and am taking daily laxatives..oh and to top it all off my doctor says im suffering post operative depression aarrgghhh
|

replied September 4th, 2010
Day after Gallbladder surgery
Had gallbladder out yesterday laproscopicly. Was really nervous. Feeling good today with minor pain. Last night ate frozen yogurt, matzo ball soup, life cereal, and some roast beef. Only needed one dose of pain meds. Ice pack and pillow on belly makes me comfortable. I'd recommend surgery to anyone. I'm 49 female and had multiple stones. I scheduled surgery within a month. I think that the fact that I didn't wait til I got really sick helped with surgery and recovery. Best wishes!
|

replied December 12th, 2010
Well it has been 6 months since surgery and I am so glad i had my Gallbladder out!! I am able to eat foods that I had'nt been able to for years, I also gained a much needed 15 pounds!! To anyone considering the surgery go for it, Life is so much better , pain free and enjoying food again!! Good luck to everyone!!
|

replied December 6th, 2013
Feeling Good After a Week Gall Bladder
I had my surgery on Tuesday and now its Friday. When I woke up from surgery I felt pain as there had been a bile drain placed in by belly area just in case. My wonderful nurse quickly gave me glorious pain meds and the doctor removed the drain. After that, minor pain, more uncomfortable that pain. I have been in bed for three days and want to go back to work for two hours today if my son lets me. You will be surprised how the hospital keeps you pain free through the process. Do not be afraid, it's worse to have an infection or suffer with stones than this operation. I thank my hospital, doctor, and fantastic nurses for my virtually pain free operation and recovery.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.