Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Scared feeling

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I'm really scared. I've been feeling scared and weird for a few weeks and I'm scared cause I'm afraid I'm suffering from some mental illness. I went to research on the net about what I'm suffering from and I think, could it be anxiety?

I feel really weird, mostly during nights. Firstly, I am really worried for my loved ones, my family. I am afraid that I might lose soon so I would try my best to behave as a good daughter and not upset them. And I also feel sad when I see them cause I am scared I will lose them.

I would also get those 'weird' feeling, it's very vague cause I dunno how to describe those feeling. I told my parents about how I'm feeling but I just can't describe. I can feel weird everywhere and everytime. I told my parents about it but I don't really know how to tell them the whole truth..

One example, I often think to myself and scaring myself with scary thoughts. I will think of random things, like one day I was shopping with my parents. Then I saw a mirror and I thought to myself: Heh I don't want to look into the mirror, I don't want!!!!!!!! But in the end I just stared into the mirror and I felt really scared. Then I will think: What exactly was I thinking just now, am I crazy, why did I think of that, why was I thinking of that kinda thing omg!

Just like the above scenario, it happened quite a lot of times already. It often happen like: I would think of some crazy and scary things in my head, then after that think: Why did I think of that, AM I CRAZY? And I would get really afraid and I would get stomachache and feel "weird".

Then I would also think I'm suffering from some diseases, scary. Like when I have stuttering speech, I would think I have some diseases. When I have sore throat, I thought I have H1N1.

I often try to calm myself down by taking deep breaths and try to do things to occupy myself and make myself busy. Sometimes it helps but sometimes it doesn't.

And I'll try not to think about me having these weird thoughts but I just can't help it. Once I start thinking, my heart will beat very fast and I feel "weird". The weird thing is that when I don't feel weird, I will provoke my thinking until I feel weird. Then I will get really scared and think I'm crazy and act a bit weird as well..

Is there any self help for this? And what exactly am I suffering from, or am I simply thinking too much? I thought these feelings wil go away, but it didn't so I am really afraid. I don't want to take medications cause I'm afraid I will rely on them and self help is the best for me I guess.

Thanks and please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lucretius123
|
Users who thank chinggy for this post: MariahAsh 

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Supporter
Honey you need to talk with your parents and describe evrything..You also need to talk with a mental health expert..There is no shame or harm in getting help..
|

replied August 7th, 2009
It's normal not to be able to control your thoughts sometimes as long as you can control your actions. Yes, speak with your parents and get some counseling. I agree with kdlee - you don't have to feel ashamed to get help. Self help is good, but you need outside help too so you can get to the cause of what is causing this. Perhaps you could keep a journal and use self-talk to calm yourself and remind yourself you can't always control what you think, but you can control your actions.
|

replied September 18th, 2009
Relax :)
I experienced similar things. I found, for me, its when I was afraid of something, and tried to stop myself thinking of that thing. My mind would rebel and try to force me to think of it even more.

I recommend just letting your mind do what it does, relax and trust in yourself (know its not your thoughts but your mind processing thoughts) and when you have thoughts you don't want, note to youself they are not yours let them come as they do and they will go. Don't try and stop thinking about them, don't blame yourself for them or you will become afraid.

I had similar experiences with thinking about stabbing things (usually me being stabbed) the more I tried not to think of it the worse it became. In the end I just got used to the idea that it was just my mind working and I knew I would never do such things and let my mind go wild (knowing nothing was real but thoughts), after I had thought all the thoughts it stopped and generally I don't think such things now (I think its just my mind wanted to process all the possibilities and I was denying it ones I was scared of or didn't like).
|

replied June 10th, 2012
I am struggling with that now, It feels that my mind is presenting the thoughts i hate the most. And I cant stand this. Its not many thoughts. 2 in particular. and they are very bad things that goes completely against who I am and what I feel. I guess I should try to let them run their course. But this brings on the fear to me that for some reason I wont be able to control my actions. This has never ever happened to me before.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
I almost have the same problem. I have thought about weird things happening to people, in my surrounding or in my imagination. I thought I must be stressed or be less hopeful in my thinking. I often image accidents to people, but not to people I don't like or don't know. I feel uneasy, but when I am busy, especially when studying, those thoughts disappear and only the bad feeling remains. also this bad scared feeling regenerate my weird thoughts again. Therefore, I try to ignore the thoughts by concentrating on another thing while awaking my good feelings/emotions in that certain thing (that I know I would not regret if I did). This used to help me ALOT. By I have to keep doing that constantly without being hurt by anyone. otherwise, I tend to go back to my crazy state.
My action is not much controlled by my thoughts, but I can tell that emotionally I have definitely changed toward those I love (people affected by my thoughts), even though I am aware that these thoughts are not real and do not represent me.
|

replied March 28th, 2011
sick feeling...
THE REASON YOU FEEL THIS FEELING IS BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT YOU NEED TO PRAY. It may not even be you. Take authority over the fear and ask God to help you deal with it. Then you should also pray for other young women going through the same thing, pray that God gives them what they need to understand. I am praying for you now, pay it forward!
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Ive been Feeling the same way and i just feel like im breaking apart I don't know what to do i think i will talk to my therapist when i see her i hope she can help me im sick of feeling this way and its starting to piss me off
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Ive been Feeling the same way and i just feel like im breaking apart I don't know what to do i think i will talk to my therapist when i see her i hope she can help me im sick of feeling this way and its starting to piss me off
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
i feel the same...i just looked at a picture of myself on my phone and freaked out...like thats really me?! who am i ?! i almost dont even know the girl in the picture it feels like. now i feel crazy that im typing this because i dont feel that way anymore. but when it happens all of a sudden, its scary... and very confusing...but i am learning this: im not crazy, and im not physically unhealthy. its most likely stress, anxiety, and overthinking. because the world is very overwhelming!! especially when the world hits you finally in your late teens and becoming an adult. it can be scaring and different. but we both need help. thats what i do know, and im not afraid to admit it either. and im making slow progress. but my panic attacks where my heart races really fast never happen anymore because im on a light dose of fluvoxamine maleate. not a big deal. you'd be surprised by how many people are like you, and there are a lot worse people. Smile
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 15th, 2012
constant scary feeling
hi my name is eddie im 33 years old and i have had a constant scary feeling for the past 6 years and if i dont get help its gonna kill me my situation is a little different but the same cadagory. when im at work or when im home the feeling of being scared creeps up on me . its like when you got startled from a loud bang or almost got hit by a car that feeling you get for a few seconds that feeling stays on with me like turning on a light doesnt stop and i cant shut it off and let me tell you its real bad. it happens from the time i get up untill i go to bed i cant controll it.i keep thinking i will beat it someday but i havent yet. sometimes i will feel normal but not always its like 70 percent im feeling terribly scared it even happens in my sleep but sometimes i get lucky and get a good night sleep. this is the worst feeling in the world. it gets so bad i get weird negative energy running through me on top of being scared i hope i dont have a heart attack one day. i went to a docter 4 years ago and they put me on paxel and something else but it didnt seem to work if you can help me please do so thanks
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Don't be scared of it!!! instead embrace it, you are connecting spiritually, think of it as learning to stay connected with your family when they oass over... I had this too growing up, now I realise why... Just embrace it fully Smile
|

replied February 18th, 2013
I also feel the same way, soo scared sometimes that I feel like I need to throw up, My dad passed away when I was 21 im now 28, i was five months pregnant, and ever since then i get horrible thought of dying and death and fear it more then anything. My mom says I need to be stronger in my faith but how can you not be scared of something that will happen one day. I feel like i've put a timeline on my life. I've often thought about doing something to myself just to get rid of these feelings. I have a lot to live for and don't want to take that route. My life isn't perfect but im ALWAYS scared thinking crazy things. it is a constant battle. i'm on cymblata and kylondpin . It would be great if someone could relate to me .. I feel very alone and fer my future. Before my dad passed i was worryless lived life to the fullest, very positive and actually enjoyed living. Now even that feels like a job in itself .. PLEASEEEEE HELP Smile
|

replied April 5th, 2013
Hi I'm a 28 yr old woman and I have four children they are the best things that ever happenend to me I know they are my little gifts from God recently I watched a show on tv about a guy who had anxiety and started killing people then I instantly started obsessing on what if I hurt my kids or fiance its not me I would never do this but it feels so real sometimes and of course someone with anxiety sits there and thinks so many what if thoughts so it is really freaking me out cant hardly eat cause I feel sick to my tummy. These are my babies I'm putting a lot of faith in Jesus though plus I am gonna talk to my doctor I'm just scared they will think I'm crazy and put me in a looneyhouse.Sad
|

replied April 5th, 2013
Hi I'm a 28 yr old woman and I have four children they are the best things that ever happenend to me I know they are my little gifts from God recently I watched a show on tv about a guy who had anxiety and started killing people then I instantly started obsessing on what if I hurt my kids or fiance its not me I would never do this but it feels so real sometimes and of course someone with anxiety sits there and thinks so many what if thoughts so it is really freaking me out cant hardly eat cause I feel sick to my tummy. These are my babies I'm putting a lot of faith in Jesus though plus I am gonna talk to my doctor I'm just scared they will think I'm crazy and put me in a looneyhouse.Sad
|

replied June 22nd, 2013
OCD
It sounds like you have OCD and you're suffering from intrusive thoughts! I think this because I have OCD and sadly, I have to deal with this all of the time.
|