Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Scar tissue root cause ?

I believe the root cause of my pain after years of trying to figure it out is scar tissue has developed all over the right side of my face from my jaw injuries. The popping and cracking sounds were scar tissue and it was hitting nerves and all sorts of weird things. I have a ton of scar tissue particularly in my massatar and upper region near my ear. It is causing debilitating pain. I have been trying to break it up more but it feels so thick im not sure I can. I am working with it every day still in hopes to free more tissue and heal it with massage. I read it can take a long time to break up thick tissue that has formed. I am massaging it all day now. I am still taking ativan but want to eventually get off it in the near future.

The right side of my face is all hard and crepitus and the left is all soft which is the undamaged side.

Is there a surgery that can remove the scar tissue? I am aware this creates more scar tissue to rebuild but at least I can work with it better and massage it before it becomes massive like this again. I wonder if cortisone injections would work as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Experienced User
I am now beginning the crepitus noise is more of a reabsorption of bone of the right side of my entire face rather than true scar tissue. After having a dislocated jaw for years I basically destroyed the intergry of the right side of my face from the joints to the muscles and it is trying to regenerate but I don't know if it can since it is essentially dead bone and muscle tissue. I am pretty postive the cracking sounds are a result of reabsorption of osteoblasts and other growth factors trying to correct the dead bone.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Experienced User
I was wrong about this topic completely...I had stiff muscles from benzo withdrawal...Fully recovered in this area now...Smile
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
I have major tmj symptoms, practically allll of them. Only tonight after reading a lot of the comments on this forum am I reassured that I'm not going crazy with all my complaints. Finally I have some answers and that I am not alone. Yes scar tissue can be a problem. I was in two major whiplash injuries and my chiropractor who also does 'energy modality' treatments, has managed to break up some of the scar tissue. Also, acupuncture, I've experienced also does the same thing.
|