Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

scabs on my scalp

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have scabs on my scalp. They don't itch, but they are very irritating. I tend to pick them, and they keep coming back. I tried to stop for a period of time and more scabs occured. There are about eight scabs on my scalp and they range in different sizes. My hair is not growing in the areas where I have the scabs What do I do to get rid of them? Should I use certain creams and shampoo.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2011
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A20643
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned about seborrheic dermatitis which is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (such as acne), or obesity may increase the risk. In general, symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis include skin lesions, Plaques over large area, greasy and oily areas of skin, Skin scales -- white and flaking or yellowish, oily, and adherent dandruff, Itching, mild redness and hair loss.
The diagnosis is based on the appearance and location of the skin lesions. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium. Shampoos or lotions containing selenium, ketoconazole, or corticosteroids may be prescribed for severe cases. To apply shampoos, part the hair into small sections, apply to a small area at a time and massage into the skin.
You must consult your dermatologist if seborrheic dermatitis symptoms do not respond to self-care or over-the-counter treatment and if patches of seborrheic dermatitis drain fluid or pus, form crusts, or become very red or painful.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.