Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Samter's Triad

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have suffered with nasal polyps, wheezing, and allergy to aspirin for many years. I was desensitized to ASA last May after removal of polyps and have never felt better. My sense of smell has returned, no asthma symptoms, and no nasal polyps. I am having surgery this week and the doctor would like me to stop taking the aspirin. If I stop for a few days, does this mean I have to be desensitized again?? I really don't want a set-back as I have never felt better. Thanks for your help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2013
prudi, this is probably too late for you, but for the future, my doctor (allergist who treats my samter's triad) told me that most surgeons will let us go way down to only 325mg aspirin once a day for a couple days, and then skip one day of aspirin before surgery, and then ramp up again after surgery. there is a little bit more samter's triad info about aspirin in general at my hospital's website:
|
Did you find this post helpful?