Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Salty taste on lips

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
I have noticed a heavy salty taste on my lips and in my mouth as well as my whole body (my skin). It stays there 24/7--even after showering. I also have a slight diesel fuel smelling urine at times. Some days I have blurry vision and just recently my eyes itch alot. I had 2 full blood work-ups including thyroid and hormone testing in 2008 and all was normal. Could these syptoms be signs of diabetes or any other condition that I should be aware of? What tests should I request from my doctor?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2009
Diabetes Answer A6254

The salty lips and skin might be related to dehydration. You might check if you take enough liquids. Other possible cause is some inflammatory or infective problem in mouth. You might want to visit your dentist to confirm or rule out this possibility.
Salty skin and lips are not symptoms of diabetes.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.