Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

saltiness have something to do with cystic fibrosis?

When I was very young, I went to Boston Children's Hospital. Symptoms were salty skin and coughing. I was said to be "borderline" cystic fibrosis (later told that there is no such thing), diagnosed with bronchial asthma.

More than 30 years later, I mysteriously do not have bronchial asthma anymore. I haven't had it for about 10 years. What I do have is very, very salty skin. It is so very uncomfortable. My lips are very dry but the skin on my face and hands are salty. I mean, really really salty. My face feels saturated, and my hands too. I've tasted the skin on my hand and it tastes like I poured salt directly in my mouth. It is that salty.

There's also something with my eyes that may or may not be related. They burn. And they burn very, very badly. My eyes sting and burn so bad that I have to use cool water to try to soothe.

Is it possible that this saltiness has something to do with cystic fibrosis? I was only tested for it, but cleared for the diagnosis.

I'm frustrated and miserable.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 25th, 2014
The 'sweat - test' is the definitive answer to if you have CF or not, which should have been performed by your GP's.
This is related to the 'salty skin query' you are referring to.
|
Did you find this post helpful?