Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Salivary Gland - localized swelling 6 mos post exposure

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
HI All,

Please help and extremely anxious. I have had an oral exposure to a CSW on Aug 11 and did not have vaginal sex. It was a massage and oral was unprotected. I did a HIV test Elisa at 2 weeks Neg, Duo HIV test at 6, 12 and 23 weeks negative. After 6 months now post exposure I have developed localized swelling on left salivary gland possibly parotid. I can definitely see the swelling when compared to the right side. GP advised that it is a salivary gland infection. There is no pain but it is uncomfortable for me. Slight difficulty in moving jaws. I did develop mild sensation of swelling 2 weeks post exposure but not visible like it is now. The swelling is benign and not bilateral. The swelling has remained for over 5 weeks now. My questions is
is such a salivary gland swelling to be worried about especially for HIV?
Do i need another HIV test? Do people seroconvert so late or is there a possibilities that tests miss certain strains of infections? Any comments are much appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Your salivary gland enlargement is actually due to bacterial or a viral infection, which can be confirmed by a few blood tests and a physical examination by your doctor.

HIV ELISA Tests , check for antibodies against both HIV 1 and HIV 2, and such accredited tests, have a high sensitivity above 99.9%. Hence there should be no doubt about HIV not being detected in your case especially after 6 months. Since your tests at 23 weeks is negative, it is conclusive that you are HIV negative. There is no need to do any further testing with regard to HIV.

You should consult with your doctor who can prescribe you a course of antibiotics, which will help in resolution of the symptoms.

|
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: manga9988 

replied March 31st, 2012
dear doctor

i asked you a question and you answered me but there is a technical problem in the site that i can't see the answer

please check this link
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic338170 .html.

regards
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Dear doctor,

You seem to be a saviour and have comforted so much in the last few weeks, THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE, and I feel a bit better now. I have taken keflex for about 5 days and no effect and now I'm taking Abbocillin where it is making me tired, no pain but the whole left side feels stretched or numb or tight. My left side feels as it was wounded. I don't care if it any other illness but just don't want it to be HIV
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.