Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Running Basics

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
Running is a major part of exercise to stay fit and healthy. I started running and jogging from last few weeks, but I feel pain in my back and legs. I'm tired of it, I got that this pain will not last after few days, but it is not letting me free. Suggest something to me so that I can get releif from it. Thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2013
How long has it been since you started? Are we talking days? Or weeks? And is this a muscular pain? Or something else?

If you're talking, like, a week, and it feels like really sore muscles, I'd look at if you overdid your workout and whether you stretched after. Are you warming up before your workout and cooling down and stretching afterwards? How much have you been running?

Before your workout, warm up with some gentle exercise. You can:
--walk briskly for five minutes or
--do some simple movements like knee raises, hamstring curls

Anything to get the blood flowing before you start running.

During exercise, work hard enough to challenge yourself but take it down a notch if you feel dizzy, unable to breathe. On a scale of 1 to 10, you should be working between a 6 and an 8. Personally I like to do intervals, going back and forth from 6 to 8 to 6 again.

After exercise you need to take down your intensity gradually, and then stretch. Don't rush the stretching--take a good 20 seconds in each stretch. Search running stretches for some good ones.

I have a whole body vibration platform that I use for warm up and cooldown, partly because it's easy and partly because it's fast--I get a good warmup/cooldown in just a couple of minutes so my total workout doesn't take a whole hour.

If the issue isn't muscle soreness, and doesn't go away soon, you might have injured yourself, in which case you'd best get checked out by a doc. Good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?