Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Rubbing under rib cage (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I have a strange feeling under my rib cage like there is something there or something has come loose?! it's been causing discomfort but no pain! very hard to describe to people, like a knocking/popping against my bottom left ribs when i move in a certain way - especially when i move forwards/backwards in my chair at work, and when stretching up/bending downwards. can't actually feel anything there, i keep trying as i'm sure there must be something there like a lump or an organ enlarged. there's no pain which is the most bizarre thing! I've found a few people on here with the same thing.... and one person suggests that it could be a cyst on the spleen, another that it is an enlarged stomach muscle! please let me know what you think! no pain, no gas, i'm not over/under weight, eat healthily and do regular excercise...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Steph2012
|

replied April 1st, 2009
rubbing/popping in left rib cage
Samtoria, I am having the same issue. No trauma, no history of cancer. I've had an ultrasound and I'm "regular". Everything you've described is exactly what I am feeling. Has any doctor responded?
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
I went to my doctor's last week and she says my stomach muscle has spasmed! Apparently it will heal itself, but if it doesn't then they'll inject it to force it to relax! Very bizarre as when researching on the net it seems that muscle spasms only last for a short while not 5 months!!
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
Mine has been happening for about 5 months too!
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
No way! I hope it is just a muscle spasm and nothing serious it's driving me mad!
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
abdominal clicking/shifting
Did you guys find anything, I have the same hapening to me?
|

replied September 15th, 2009
same thing happens to me ... Makes me not want to do any motion that requires my arms to be above my waist... Like pushing a shopping cart. I explained to
someone and described the feeling like fatigue below my lower rib cage on both sides
If that makes any sense at all.... I have suffered from 4 severe boughts if costochondritis in the last 3 years, oddly enough it seems to flare up when I lose weight?!? Like it
might be connected to sleeping ony side without extra fat to protect my ribs?
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Me to
I am having all of those symptoms too.
Very bizzare feeling and like you Samtoria, keep feeling for something, but can't feel anything. Not painful, just reallly strange and hard to describe. You did a darn good job of it, though. Sometimes even a slight twisting, tickling feeling.
How many of you have ever had anxiety?
|

replied July 15th, 2010
rubbing on bottom left of chest
I have it too Sad

I was told I have a peice of cartlidge attached to my ribs - the chest physician said he could feel it? Yet I have also been told be a pyhsio, once by the doctor, friends and family that is coming from the bowel area? Sounds like wind or trapped air? (I get a creaking when I breath in and out, coming from the same place where the rub is). It is very wierd, I have a recording of it - my sister called me obbsessive for recording it, but it is getting really annoying. I had it five years now... and today it is really bad and I dont know why!! Yesterday I had quite an intense singing lesson and we worked on posture and breathing correctly from the diaphram... its always very difficult for me to do breathing exercises and in the lesson the noise/rub thing seemed to get worse the more I sang? Was I breathing to much air into it? Dunno... I do also suffer with mild asthma and hyperventilation. (but that has been good lately and singing is supposed to help?)... I told the singing teacher and he said I should spend less time worrying about these things and focusing more on the singing... (eg if I put the same effort into singing as I do every little thing I feel in my body)... but today it has been so bad. It actually is hurting today.. like a muscle cramp or something pushing... poking in my ribs... just like someone said... I feel need to raise my arms and pull up my ribs to make room down there for whatever it is that is not comfortable... I also have the funny bowel habits... I put bowel habits down to sitting at my desk all day at work and not moving about enough... maybe it is bad posture also causing this squashing (which is what it feels like) on the bottom left... I do suck my left thumb (31) I know lol... but I wondered whether that is forcing my body to get squashed on the left? I just feel I am in pain today but I cant go back to the doctor as I had my diagnosis... (its just a peice of random cartlidge, no harm to anyone... what you worried about that for??). Maybe it is as simple as constipation (caused by sitting too long at work?)

Wierd... as I am going to post this... I am for the first time ever noticing it on the right a little too, a bit like a sharp pain... hmmm... and the feeling on the left is almost radiating, feels like a twitch?? like someone poking me? Blimey funny how now it doesnt feel like my rib and more like my dunno (bit below rib?)...

Lol... what a nightmare... (because I am such a decriber i dont go to the doctor as they are like... oh my gosh you hypercondriact... I cant help I like to explain these feelings I feel. (I dont know whether they normal or not... know I never used to get stuff like this... oh yeah my doctor also told me... once over 25 I have to accept that body starts going down hill... you cant expect to feel like you did when you were 20... ??
|

replied August 31st, 2010
you are not the only one
i got it as well

it feels like the tendon has enlarged and it flips over my ribs it is at the bottom of my rib cage

wat is happening?

but i have the same thing at diffrent parts of my body too

i have it in my finger, groin, elbows, knee, neck, shoulder, back, wrist, toes, bum(when i sit on hard surface the tendon rubs and flips over my bone)

my whole body is basically fked up i am seeing a doc on 8th sept 2010
|

replied February 24th, 2011
Post gall bladder surgery - discomfort under right rib cage.
The feeling under the rib cage that all of you describe prompts me to give one more description...of my same type of experience. Feels like movement through a displaced intestine right under the right rib cage. .

When I was pregnant and pretty far along, the baby would push it's feet against my rib cage. It feels like a baby moving just under my right rib cage. Quite strong at times. My doctor has no explanation??? This is happening so much to us it seems someone in the med field should know something, Right?
|

replied March 10th, 2011
I have the same thing happening to me! It feels like a baby has it's foot under my rib. I feel it mostly when I'm sitting in the car driving but if I push in that area for a while I can feel it when I'm standing too.

I use to not be able to feel anything when I tried looking for the bump but now I think I feel a long horizontal area (my muscle?) that's rubbing my rib.

I have a short torso, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I told my midwife about it and she pushed around on stomach but she said she did not feel anything.

This is the first time I've been able to find anyone else with this same issue online.

Has anyone figured out what this could be?
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Parasites! Worms! Saw it on Dr. Oz! Go to a doctor for treatment.
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Parasites! Worms! Saw it on Dr. Oz! Go to a doctor for treatment.
|

replied July 11th, 2011
Has anyone who has had this figured out what it is and how to fix it? I have had a little bit of information..
I've had this click/pop like experience below my left rib for a little less then a year, it happens with very deep breaths/ certain movements/ and if I push on it and sometimes there is a fluttering sensation that seems random. i've done almost every test possible and ruled out anything major.
Also that it could be a loss in the "stuff" that holds my ribs together/ i.e rib cavity has diminished.
This 'pop/click' yunder my rib developed when I went away to college and I went from being very in shape and in tune with my diet to drinking and smoking heavily with no exercize for a couple months until one day I woke up and there was this weird 'pop,' and it gradually got worse as my diet stayed the same for a couple more months until finally I hit rock bottom and the 'pop' was occcuring a lot more frequently then before.
Now I am on the road to full recovery..
I've had doctors tell me it's going to go away it just takes time and a healthy diet (no wheat/etc) while taking certain healthy dietary supplements that I have been prescribed.
Although the 'pop' is still there, it seems to happen less and less, yet it is always there still. I have hope that it will eventually go away if I keep this up. If anyone has any helpful information about this 'pop' sensation it would be much appreciated.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL THIS IS GONE
AND IF YOU HAVE THIS TO NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

Read more: Abdominal Pain Forum - popping under left rib cage page 3 http://ehealthforum.com/health/popping-und er-left-rib-cage-t154611_40.html#ixzz1RpEm Vrtw
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Weird rib feeling
I have just started to get this. I dont no what it is. I havent seen a DR yet, It happened one day when I was slouching and its bothered me every since. It feels like a baby foot in my rib. Its just so weird. I hope it isnt anything bad.
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Brushing/Popping feeling against rib
I am having similar issues.I feel like something pops and brushes against my floating ribs on my left side during certain movements.It is really annoying.I've been having these problems for about 5-6 months now.Ive gotten a chest x-ray done and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the x-ray.I feel it all started after i tried working out and I think I overdid it because I hadn't worked out in a while.Anyone found an answer to this??
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Feeling of pushing on ribs
For about a month or so, I've also had a feeling of something pushing the bottom of my right ribs out. It usually happens later in the day (I notice it a lot as I'm washing dinner dishes). I can feel it now though too. I haven't had it checked out, I do have a GYN appt next week and I'll see if she recommends I see my regular doc. There is no pain, it's just uncomfortable. I'm a female, in my late 40s. I think I'm pretty healthy otherwise, no other issues. It's starting to really concern me. It just doesn't feel right.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
I'm glad i've found other people with this issue as well. Just like someone else said, I first noticed this while I was driving in the car, slightly slouched over. The only difference between mine and most of yours, is mine happens on my right side instead of my left. I can move whatever it is around in there and it pops around my rib cage, but that's the only way I can feel it, to touch my stomach you'd never know it was there. I went to the doctor last night and they did an X-ray (normal) and took some blood which I haven't gotten the results back yet....they're also scheduling me an ultrasound. I'll let you guys know what I figure out in a couple weeks.
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Also, mine seemed to start once I put on a little bit of weight and began having a poor exercise routine as well as a poor diet.
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
"LITTLE KICKS UNDER YOUR RIGHT RIBCAGE" IS YOUR GALLBL
it is gallbladder symptoms people! you either have stones, or it could possibly be inflamed. go to your doctor. and those little kicks is your gallbladder contracting because it is producing bile or the gallstone is moving around.
|

replied June 16th, 2012
I am 47 and have had this problem several years now. Several dr. opinions and ultrasounds to no avail.
One said floating separated rib...I disagree because it moves to much on its own like others say it feels like a babies foot and if I bend over to far it pops out over my rib cage with intense pain until it goes back in...Other dr.s say its most likely a hernia and what I am feeling is the intestines popping out. I have 4 kids and my 3rd was heavier that area burned alot so I was always pushing him down and had a hard time sleeping.
I think the lining gave way with that pregnancy. Hernias can happen from heavy lifting also.
The only way any dr. would say with certainty was with exploratory surgery.
Today I was searching again because it seems to be getting worse for no apparent reason other than maybe I am just older and gained about 5 lbs...I have always been small and weigh only 112 lbs.
For years I've felt like theres an alien inside me!
Glad to know at least Im not the only one. =)
Seriously tho...I do believe it is a hernia where the muscle can no longer hold in the intestines...that can be very dangerous so no heavy lifting or pulling!
|

replied September 12th, 2012
Rubbing under ribs
It does feel good to know that someone else is experiencing the same symptoms/feelings. When you mentioned it feels like an alien I new we shared similar feelings. I found it would occur when I would bend over and it was like a muscle being squeezed to the 10th power and then it would relax and go away. Then I started to feel and see the muscle or ? Protruding the size is like a babies foot. It would hold and is intense pain until is relaxes and perhaps goes back in place. After I had an upper GI done which came back normal I experienced motion similar to a child birthday party blowing toy. Example,The wrap is blown out and curls back up. The feelings are so odd and difficult to describe. It feels good to know that someone else understands. So far all my tests ultrasound etc. have been normal. I been to primary physician, surgeon and next I am going to try my GYN. My primary thought if was a hernia too. The intestine out of place. I will be glad to see if someone gets a true answer or explanation soon.
|

replied July 17th, 2012
Even though gallstones feel VERY similar, mine is not gallstones - unless a gallbladder can grow back-- because mine was removed last year. I did just see my dr and he said it was floating rib syndrome which can be caused by an injury/trauma to your lower rib(s), from simple repetitive motions or sitting in a desk chair. I work all day in an office and have actually heard co-workers complaining of this too, so I'm sure that's what it is.
|

replied April 20th, 2013
Just reading through all these...hmmm...

33, not in so great of health (NASH/NAFLD), gall bladder removed...couch potato for a year an a half (depression will do that). Never been pregnant.

This started in february of this year. Firstly, Ive experienced a very occasional pop from time to time when I leaned forward, but this is different. In feb. I was laying down and a sudden stab of pain and discomfort on my left side, along the edge/just blow the ribcage, several inches from the sternum. It went away. Startled me but I get odd pains every so often. A few days later, it happens again, discomfort, stabbing pain that seem to move out toward my navel then faded away. Another day, maybe a week, cold heat radiating in the same area and around my side.

In the last 2 months it has been getting steady worse. And this is when the popping deal also kicks in in the same place. Let me explain the popping. It's like...say...something hard but fleshy sticking out and when I lean forward, my ribcage pushes it out of the way with a sound, which I call a pop. This as well as the pain, discomfort, stabbing and sometimes traveling pains that almost always seems to move toward my navel but not quite make it half way there.

Last night. I was sitting on my bed, leaning back against my wall. I wanted to change position. When I moved, I experienced a pop but different than all those previous, with 2 individual pains streak toward my navel in direction. It felt so mot right that it cause the hypochondria in me to spark a mild panic attack. Right now? Im sitting cross leg on my bed, straight backed to keep the darn thing from popping and hurting anymore than it already is.

I will also mention, burping relieves the comfort but only momentarily and matches the symptoms for gastristis (except the popping), near nightly stomach aggravation that sends non-cardiac pains into my chest until my stomach shuts up. Also, if I accidentally cause too many rubs/pops in a day it becomes irritated and aches for a day or so.

I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks so Ill definitely point all of this out.

Seriously, Im...very scares what it may be. I already have a possibly fatal (but controllable) liver condition. I couldn't handle if it was something worse...

Thanks for listening.
|
12 >>