Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Rough sex, bleeding, and cramping?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hours after I had rough sex I noticed orangey colored discharge as I wiped with slight tiny pink streaks on the toilet paper as well. The pink was barely there. But I was wondering if this is normal. I've also been on low dose birth control and it's given me problems in the past with breakthrough bleeding. I am not sure if the bleeding is from the pill or just from the rough sex. I felt fine all day until a few hours after I had sex the cramping started and the odd bloodish discharge as I wiped. But I went to the bathroom again though and there wasn't anything as I wiped. Can rough sex cause cramping and slight bleeding?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Twiz
|

replied December 24th, 2011
Community Volunteer
It sounds like just some side effects from rough sex. Even with plain vanilla calm sex, there are micro tears that form in the vagina and around the vaginal entrance. Normally these does not bleed. Rough sex ca cause deeper and more of these micro tears.

During rough sex, he may also penetrate very deep. That may cause him to hit your cervix with his penis. This can cause some bleeding, bruising and cramps.

An orgasm can also make your uterus release some old blood left behind inside. It can also squeeze some blood from the uterus lining when you have orgasm contractions going through the uterus wall. Menstrual cramps are the same type of contractions as orgasmic contractions (obviously just not painful). So you can think for yourself that it can cause some bleeding if your uterus lining is thickened (this thickening is what causes breakthrough bleeding).

As always, if you are worried, or it becomes very heavy or happens every time, see your doctor.
|

Thank you! I was fine right after sex it was a few hours later when the cramping and very small amount of blood occurred. I went to the bathroom three more times since. 2 later that night and just this morning. There was no blood those times. But If I happen to see blood later in the day though should I be worried or is that also not unusual?
|

Community Volunteer
Twiz, There is no fixed rule on when to find help.

In your case, I do not think it is something to be worried about, even if you get light spotting a day or two afterwards. It is not unusual to have slight bleeding and cramping after rough sex.
|

Sex pains
I had sex a couple days ago for the first time. During I didn't feel any pain, but I knew my cherry had popped because I saw a tiny bit of blood every time I've been to the bathroom since. The guy was older with more experience so it was kinda rough. But I've been very sore since like 2 hours after, it hurts to close my legs even Sad Is this normal and when will the pain stop? I'm not worried about pregnancy or anything, we used protection and he didn't even cum Razz
|

Community Volunteer
Rockstar, It sounds reasonable that it can be from first time sex. Remember that your vaginal entrance and the muscles have been stretched for the first time. There can also be chaffing and the places where your hymen tore can be painful. It is also advisable to use personal lubricant (water or silicone based).

Rough sex is fine once in a while. Good sex is however as much about intimacy and love as it is about lust. There is no excuse to make it hurt, unless that is what you want. Especially the first few times you have sex, it needs to be gentle.

Monitor yourself for an infection over the next few days (UTI or yeast). Take an anti-inflammatory (NSAID) pain killer (read the warnings). You can also try a nice hot bath.

Take care
|

I just don't know what to do or what to think of this. I'm on my new birth control pack (and have been taking it since june) I've had breakthrough bleeding issues on this low dose pill before. I'm about to start the third week of the pack and I don't know if the bleeding is coincidentally happening after the rough sex or if the rough sex made me bleed or possibly slightly tear something. My boyfriend said when he was in me he felt like he was hitting something, he went even deeper "inside" and felt something and went even more in and said he felt himself "go through it" which I'd assume he hit my cervix then. I was fine after sex that night but a few hours later noticed some sight discoloring/blood it was an orangey color with a tiny tiny bit of pink, barely noticeable. I went to the bathroom a few more times that night and didn't notice anything. The morning I woke up and there was nothing either. And bleeding after any sort of sex has never happened before! Just last night when I assume he hit my cervix and was really deep. I was fine all today til I had sex again. It was sort of uncomfortable this time as my boyfriend and I were. during sex I noticed a small slight (very small amount) of orangey colored discharge, but after that any of the discharge while having sex was the usual color. After sex I was fine. Til a few hours later again I noticed some cramping and blood and this time it was red and a little more.

But it's so confusing because I've had bleeding issues on this damn birth control too. I don't know if it's coincidental. But I feel like the breakthrough bleeding would be more constant and heavy by now? Any other time breakthrough bleeding occurred from the pill it would start as spotting and then get heavier like a period. This isn't really heavy and is more red now, but random discharges, not constant as a flow as what normally happens when I experience the breakthrough bleeding from the pill. So something seems different this time?

I don't know if it's the pill or the sex. I don't know what to do but I'm confused of what it is or if it'll stop :/
|

replied December 25th, 2011
So today I went to the bathroom a few times and noticed some brownish spotting when wiping. Only occasionally though it's not a constant thing. So it's brown as if it's old blood. I don't think it'd be spotting caused by the pill because any other time that's happened it's picked up and gotten worse and red and more of a flow. This is a few drops here and there and not every time I go to the bathroom mostly when I have to push for making bowl movements and it's a few drips and brown. I asked my mother's opinion and she said it sounds like it's just irritated. It seems like ever since the rough sex it's been irritated. Yesterday when I had sex again is when a few hours later it happened again/more bleeding. Today it is not as bad and a few drips here and there and not red like fresh blood. My question is, how long do you think it would take to heal in that case to where I could have sex and not cause even more irritation to it (cause yesterday it seemed to aggravate it a little). I'd like to know an estimate of when this would totally heal and where I could have sex again and not worry about bleeding hours later or discomfort.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
I know I keep adding posts but it keeps changing... It's just so confusing because today, this morning wasn't so bad, but it seemed to pick up a little in the middle of the day. It alternates between reddish and brown and isn't much like a flow but not exactly just a few spots either. It's like a mix of both. I don't know if it's the pill or from sex. But my boyfriend did say he "hit" something and kept going when we had sex the first night I noticed the cramping and a little blood. It didn't hurt as we had sex though that day. Just a few hours later. So it could be some sort of tear? I was fine yesterday also til we had sex again and a few hours later a little cramping and some blood. But today, I didn't have any sex and still experienced some cramping and occasional spotting/bleeding. So I really don't know? What do you think? Either way I want to call my Dr as soon as I can to get her opinion. But your opinions of course aren't medical advice but I still like to red for input in the mean time.
|

Community Volunteer
Twiz, What you are describing is typical from your cervix being hit during sex and/or hormonal issues from the pill. Of course it can also be from something else.

It sounds like you will not feel reassured until your doctor takes a look. So see your doctor and get the reassurance you need. It is perfectly fine to get a doctors opinion.
|

I'm leaning more towards it being the low dose pill. It was just confusing and scary because the bleeding happened to be hours after sex where my boyfriend said he went really deep and felt like he "hit" something. But I think if it would've been the cervix wouldn't I have been in a lot of pain during sex? and not hours later? Plus my boyfriend and I have been in the deeper positions before and it would feel a certain way but not hurt me. It'd kind of be a tickle type feeling mixed with a pressure type feeling but I've felt that almost every time in those positions so the last time we had sex and it was deeper I didn't feel anything different. But I think the sex and the bleeding is coincidental. I've had issues on this pill before and it seems to be every other month. Late June I started it and July I was fine. August happened and I had breakthrough bleeding. September came and I was fine. October happened and I had bleeding again, November came and I was fine, now it's December and there's issues again. It always seems to be around the 2nd week of the pack and it was towards the very end of the 2nd week in my current pack the bleeding started. I am pretty sure it's coincidental. Although I of course won't feel better until I'd talk to a nurse or my doctor. So far today it's still some blood, random spotting/flows but not very heavy. I haven't had sex since Saturday and Saturday when I had sex it wasn't rough at all or deeper. It's seemed to pick up a little and be a little more frequent since that point. I'd have to assume it'd be the pill then.
|

replied August 12th, 2012
twiz, did you ever find out what it was?
|

replied January 6th, 2014
hey please somebody reply i had sex today after few hours my vagina started bleeding when i urinated then it lessened after a few minutes please im worried tellme what to do
|