Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Rotten smell from vagina (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
My boyfriend and I have sex very frequently. We were both tested for STDs before we began having sex. I went on the pill about two months ago and my second time having my period while on it, there is a rotten smell (Like something dead and rotting) coming from my vagina once it was finished. It makes me gag! I showered and it still reeks! HELP!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper canadian03
|

replied May 17th, 2008
its quite possible you have an infection.
you should see your Ogbyn
|

replied April 26th, 2009
i have the same problem and have had a period for 4 months now been on the pill for 3 months to stop the period and help it take the cramps away but still have a period and noticed a smell like somethings dead inside me can anyone help me?been fightin an infection for 3 years the docs have no clue what it is cant find it?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
i have the same problem, but i'm not on any type of birth control. me and my boyfriend live together so obviously, we have sex frequently. this smell makes me gag, but he says it doesn't matter to him because he loves me so he can put the smell aside. and it's still there even after i shower and body spray doesn't really cover it up. what should i do?
|
Users who thank trishbabex3 for this post: Borninpain1982 

replied September 21st, 2012
Hello
I just seeing my doctor yesterday about the same problem she give me antibiotic name of that ( metronidazole ) 2 tablets twice a day and beleive it or not the rotten smell gone that fast but still have to take it until finish all the tablet coz that's antibiotic and only helps for good if you take it until finish . Just go see your doctor Smile
Its just a infection what is really commen .
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
Community Volunteer
It is for a bacterial infection, most often BV. Remember to monitor yourself for a yeast infection. The antibiotics will often cause a vaginal yeast infection. And you are quite correct, antibiotics should be finished every time.

Best of luck!
|

replied July 30th, 2009
I am having the same problem. I am also on birth control pill (Microgynon30) and have been for the past 5 years.

The 'rotten' smell coming from my vagina started about 8 months ago but I was jus too embarrassed to go to the doctors about it. Sometimes it would completely disappear so in a way I thouht it couldn't be anything serious. Well it's back again!

I had a shower yesterday morning and then went straight to the gym, as soon as I get in the gym I stretch... I was stretching my legs and I got a really bad wiff of myself (the rotten smell). It really upset me, 1) becausee I had only just had a shower and the smell had come back SO quickly after a thorough wash and 2) because I was very concious of the people around me smelling it. It was that strong, I can bet that someone standing 1 - 2 feet away from me yesterday in the gym would have smelt it.

I have an appointment with my Doctor for next Thursday to ask what this smell is. Hopefully it will be something simple, maybe a yeast infection?
|

replied October 13th, 2009
I have this same issue the "rotten" smell and somedays it is more fishy too, I've had this problem ever since I can rememmber,,.the doctors have checked for everything they have no idea whats wrong and I'm very clean. I've lost hope, have no idea what to do and guess i will just have to live with it
|

I forgot I made a post here and didn't update. I got an email telling me about a new reply to the thread.

Anyway, I did go to the doctors in the end to discuss the 'smell'. She took a swab, the test results came back clear. No infections/problems.

She prescribed me some antibiotics anyway, and it did clear the problem up! I haven't had the 'rotten smell' for about a month now!
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Hi CK80

I have a friend with the same problem, can you tell mw which antibiotics were you given?

THanks

A
|

Thats good, glad for you...doctors have prescribed me everything, nothing helps for any longer than a couple of weeks!
|

User Profile
Guys, ever try alternative medicine? Chinese herbs have saved my life in numerous situations where 'technological advances' in western medicine haven't.
|

I had an infection in the vagina, it didn't stink but it itched me crazy. The doctor gave me something, and it worsened.
I read somewhere that Muslim soldiers used to carry honey with them and it helped the wounds heal. And therefore no limbs were amputated after the battle.
So this is what I did: with a surgical syringe (minus needle)I injected honey into my vagina. I did this twice, and the infection was zapped completely.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
it's too dangerous!!
you can't guarantee the honey purity.
never put sugar in your vagina!!
|

replied October 21st, 2009
more than likely it is caused by Bacterial Vaginitis aka BV. this occurs when there is a change in the pH of your vaginal fluids. ladies, tell ur gyno's about it. they will be able to help!
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Mine has come back again. The antibiotics seemed to help. Although the swab my doctor took came back as normal, there were NO infections (she didn't want to prescribe me the antibiotics because she couldn't find anything wrong, but I insisted on having them).

Anyway, my 'smell' has come back within the last week. The only thing I can associate it with is stress. I have been very stressed lately and if I think back, when it went away I was generally feeling better in myself... and when I had the smell the lastime I was feelng very down and stressed. So basically, I am wondering if mine comes on in times of depression and stress (I suffer with depression)

BV normally causes a fishy odour, not a 'rotten' smell. I actually suggested this to my doctor and she frowned and said no. BV also normally comes with itching too... I do not have any fish odour nor do I have itching. So to anyone who is noticing a fishy odour along with the rotten smell and some itching, I believe you are could have BV... and you can buy treatment over the counter.

I don't know what mine is, like I said the doctor said I was clear of infection. I think it's just something I'll have to put up with at certain times.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
Chemical Imbalance of PH - Rephresh might HELP!
Would you happen to be on Prozac for your depression? I have the same problem and now that you mentioned it it seems that maybe this odor is being brought on by chemical imbalances. Most of the women in the panel were on birth control when it started which is a hormone causing changes in the chemical balance of a woman. However, neither you or I are on any birth control rather we have a natural chemical imbalance which we were possibly prescribed medication to correct. Prior to the use of the Prozac, I was having issue with what seems to be vaginal infections, but when visiting my dotor I found that I was negative for any std, or bacterical infections. However, the doctor's assistant told me about PH balance being off and recommended I get some Rephresh. The use of this product did clear up the symptoms of what I thought to be an infection. Maybe this treatment will help in this case as well.
|

replied February 27th, 2010
bad odor in the vagina.
it is the mans semen, in a womans vagina. when left in there it causes women to stink in the vagina.
|

replied April 10th, 2010
rotten smell
i have the same problem with the rotten smell and i dont know what it is and no matter what i do it wont go away somebody help me
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2010
Rotten smell and none stop period!
i also have a rotten smell that is soo bad i cant stand it. Its so bad i dont even want to try to have sex with anyone. my boyfriends in jail for a long time so i wont be seeing him and im hoping while he away i can get rid of this terrible smell. also on top of then nasty, rotten, dead smell i have my period and it hasnt stopped for about 3 weeks now. im starting to have lower abdomonal pains and i cant sleep. idk if the ensomnia has anything to do with this but im thinking it does. i dont know what to do im soo scared. my mom said shed get me a doctors apointment but im terrified of what they will do or say. even before the rotten smell i have been suffering with BV for about 2 to 3 years and have been treated about 4 times for it. they gave me very nasty pills the first 2 times i went to PP and then i went and got checked at the doctors and they said i had clamidia so they put me on a very harsh antibiotic that made me puke if i took it with out eating and even after i was dont with those it still came back. it was fishy and then turned rotten and now my period wont stop it hurts and im scared. please someone help me!
|

replied November 18th, 2012
I am also having the same problem,I stay together with my boyfriend and it has been 2 years now having this bad smell from my vagina,I went to different doctors almost 7 times but all the antibiotic that i was given just made it worse and I am really feeling down now. Just imagine I stay together with my boyfriend (fiancee) but it s almost 15 months we did not have sex. I lost hope and this is killing me,I even want a baby but I dont know how this will go away,sometimes I have yellow big things like inside the boiled egg coming out from my vagina,sometimes even if i want to sleep during the day I always feel the pain in my low abdomen and feel like I want to pee but when iI go to the toilet nothing will come out,sometimes I am just not comfortable. I am very tired and I dont know what to do. I am 23.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
scrub & baste
Grab a turkey baster, some vinagar & water, mix 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water and douche away that funk. Stop using body spray on your vag, or scented creams & lotions down there, just soap & water,
|

replied January 2nd, 2011
What your dealing with
I am male and am married. It sounds like it's the seamen. It can make a horrible smell if you been having sex a lot. I love to eat my wife out and that's what I noticed. Start using condoms if a infection doesn't show up and it will solve the problem.
|

replied May 12th, 2011
hey all...i was reading through the posts and just wanted to share. i have never had problems with smelling bad and actually on the contrary was told i smelled good, anyway when i had sex with my boyfriend hed always pull out, well when he started not pulling out i noticed this god awful smell. i didnt notice it right away but if we had sex more than once in a day or several days in a row i noticed it even if i bathed. it was so bad he literally almost threw up. i was so ashamed i wanted to die. i thought infection and tried everything. nothing worked, then i would just immediately clean myself every time we had sex. im talking immediately...like i would get up to pee and start cleaning myself and never had that problem again. i talked to some other female friends of mine and they said for some reason when male and female juice mix it causes an awful smell if its not cleaned out right away. so maybe the people mentioning the semen are right?
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
rotten smell
This rotten smell comes also with a constant discharge and itching on the left side. No one seems to find anything wrong with me. I am sick of it and don't know how to stop this!
|

replied June 6th, 2011
This rotten smell is bv, definitely. I have been dealing with bv for about four years and I know that;

1) if it's mild it can smell rotten or like garlic or fresh potato peelings

2) if it's mild it can also show up as negative for infection if you see a doctor

My advice is acidophiulus or Fem-Dophilus every day long term. Plenty of live yogurt to eat. Wash the vulva with Dove soap. No underwear when you sleep. Echinacea and goldenseal make a great comination for bv - I know you're not supposed to take goldenseal long term but I thought, f it, and decided to anyway and it really helps.

If you try all this and it fails then buy some hydrogen peroxide, mix half and half with a little distilled water or collidal silver and put into a plastic syringe from the chemist. Push very very slowly into the vagina to wash out the inside. But this is a last resort because it's bad for you in the long run - I just do this if I have a flair up and I'm about to get laid, as it will keep the smell away 100% for about 24 hours... Good luck everyone. Trust me though - it's bv. I know from experience x
|
12 >>
Quick Reply