Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

rocking while sleeping (Page 1)

Ok for me this is a bit embaressing so I'm comming out of my comfort zone here. As a child I used, to every night, rock myself to sleep. I thought those days ended in my adulthood. Well, replaced by shaking my foot to go to sleep. Iv'e been told by my GF that I have been rocking while I sleep. All those childhood memories came back. She also mentioned that I kick her allot while sleeping.

Strange isnt it. Let me know what you think.

-Del
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper prp903
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There is noting to be embarrassed for.
What you are experiencing is a kind of parasomnia, disorder that revolve around sleep, manifesting like repetitive movements of certain areas of the body, just before and during light sleep.
It is called Rhythmic Movement Disorder, one of the sleep–wake transition disorders, and, it may be related to the lack of contact in infancy.

Do you go through body rocking, usually done on the hands and knees, when you start to fall asleep?
Are you experiencing sleep deprivation?
Are you going through a stressful period?
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Experienced User
My rocking is on my rt side side only. Just back and forth. I don't know what you mean about hands and knees. I am tired most of the day but that may be related to my meds for bipolar. with 4 kids at 11,7,6 and 5 (b,g,b,g) every day is stressfull.

-Del
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Me too i do it on the right side just back and forth, I am only 15. I sleep with my sisters and they have all gotten used to it i think. Otherwise i can't sleep if i don't rock and my parents were both alcoholics, i wonder what that has to do with anything?
|

replied October 24th, 2011
reply too 'Me too i do it on the right side just back and forth, I am only 15" I have been rocking my self to sleep for 35 years sense I was a kid still do. I am not As dependedent on it for sleep as i was When I was A child. Sometimes I do rock While in deep sleep. 1 in 100,000 I beleive are affected by this. most likly it waill be with you for life. Sleeping with your sisters at 15 thats not healthy. if Nessasery do to lack of space well I would not be telling strangers on the net.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
Rhythmic Movement Disorder
Holy cow!All these years I never new what the disorder was called untill I came acros this web site. Rhythmic Movement Disorder.
I can realte to MR_Del. OMG. Ive been rocking my body sence I was a child. And when I was married well into adult hood I thought I had had over come this but I was worng. Iam now 50s and im still rocking to sleep, mayeb even worse at this time. I will even rock while taking a nap mid day just to sooth my self.
I want this Rhythmic Movement Disorder to stop.
I have tried severl things over the years from excerise. to working long hrs so that im so tired I just fall asleep but alll theses remedies seem to be only temporary nothing seems to be a perment soultion for this disorder that stared as a child.
What can i do?
|

replied September 18th, 2010
Experienced User
I have yet to find a complete solution but have found that stress contributes to how bad this condition is. It seems the more stress there is the more I do this while trying to sleep. If stress in my life is not to bad I can just shake a foot while falling asleep with no need to rock myself. It is nice to know there is a name for the condition. I mentioned it to some doctors at the VA and they acted as if I did not know what I was talking about. I guess this condition does not have much scientific research, at least through VA. Maybee now being armed with a name for it I may start getting better answers.

-Del
|

replied March 6th, 2011
I have always rocked to sleep since i was a kid, and even as a teenager i still do it. For me it is a comfort thing, i usually can't have really deep sleep. Every night i have my little fan on.
As an infant i never had any contact with my parents. I don't known how to stop it, i try every night but then i end up being the crankiest person on this planet. It truly is something that really puts me into a really deep sleep. I sleep in the same bed with my sister and she has gotten used to it. Sometimes it bothers her.

If anyone has anything to say, please post
|

replied March 7th, 2011
I don't know what you mean about hands and knees. if stress in my life is not to bad I can just shake a foot while falling asleep with no need to rock myself. It is nice to know there is a name for the condition.
|

replied September 26th, 2011
Sleep rocking
I rock to sleep too. I'm 52. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I rock primarily on my left side, and now I'm having lots of problems with my left arm and shoulder. Practitioners says my shoulder and arm woes are caused by some sort of strain due to repetitive movements. I'm pretty sure 50 years of sleep rocking will do that. I tried to tell a physio therapist once. He had no idea what I was talking about. I'm so relieved to find out there are others like me (my parents shamed me over it when I was a kid). But now it's taking a toll on my health. I really need a solution. I had tried to stop the sleep rocking but this is bigger than me. PS. I'm on effexor for depression. Hasn't helped with this though.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2012
I do this rocking as well. i have to do it before I sleep and lie face down with my head on my folded arms and sway my head, sometimes strong. It is now affecting my neck and I have had trauma in my neck in early years. I am worried now this is affecting my health s I am now 40 years old.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Rocking as well
I'm 40 and have very similar characteristics as the group above. I have always rocked myself to sleep and I am only able to get comfortable and rock while laying on my left side. I too have begun having neck and lower back problems within the last 5 to 6 years, and had never thought that my rocking could be contributing to it until I read one of the posts above. My wife has learned to deal with it, but says it's like sleeping in bed with a washing machine.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
Rhythmic Movement Disorder
Omg, i rock myself to sleep also. Im a nineteen and Ive been doing it since i was a child also. I will not rock around strangers only my intermediate family. i still get embarrassed when they walk in on me doing it. When im in bed with my boyfriend he gets really annoyed because in order to fall asleep i have to shake my foot.
|

replied January 29th, 2012
I thought I was the only one. I'm adopted so that might have something to do with the none parent contact.I do it one my right side the most but I also do it on the left. I just go back and forth. I would get solo embarrassed about it. I'm 17 still do it and if I don't I feel so u comfortable. My friends say whenever they sleepover they wait for me to go to sleep first. But they have gotten used to it..... Thank god. My parents don't care and says its normal, glad they were right.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Sleep Rocking
My husband has rocked in his sleep his whole life. It drives me crazy. I do notice that he rocks more when things are stressful. We have to sleep in seperate rooms because he wakes me up at night. He is very fit, but is a big guy, and the whole bed shakes when he is rocking. I wish there was something to help him, and me!!
|

replied March 29th, 2012
rocking and shaking
I am 31 i have been rocking myself and shaking my feet i also flex my leg muscles in
a rythm to fall asleep. I remember as a child my mother used a rocking
Chair to rock me to sleep i dont think it is necissarilly due to lack of parental
Involvment but more like a way to go bacl to our comfort zone like some kids have blankets ect.. I use to hate it because i thought it was annoyinh for others but once i accepted this is not going away and i am glad it isnt I love it it comforts me and one of my best friends loves to sleep next to me because it helps her sleep too.. Smile all im trying to say is that accept what you cant change realize it is probably linkes to a form of comfort your parents taught you.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
i do the exact things that you do.. move my legs.. sometimes my muscles and of course rocking. but i think that i do this when im cold or when im not sleepy enough. when i was younger, im 25 now, i did that every single day and i sang or make noises, now i dont. and when i sleep hugged with my boyfriend i can control this and i dont do it. qhen im alone or not spooned haha sometimes i wake up and im rocking.. but i try to dont do that because i got headache or neck pain... i hope some day it will stop forever
|

replied August 1st, 2012
I am 16 yrs old and I have been rocking myself to sleep for as long as I can remember there is even some nights were I fall asleep without rocking but wake up rocking and my dad did the same thing but by the time he was 15 he conquered it. I can't rock on my left side only my right and ive tried shaking my feet but it's no use sometimes. I am afraid this will effect me when I'm an adult.
|

replied August 20th, 2012
rocking while sleeping(Rhythmic Movement Disorder)
Im 26, iv have been doing it since i was a child, i used to do it while sleeping but also to get to sleep. When i was around 12 i realised it is weird so stopped doing it to get to sleep but still while sleeping i do it. It wakes me up because i hate that i do it and it puts me off sharing rooms with friends or having girlfriends. I have done it infront of my friends a few times which is really embarrassing sprcially when one recorded it once(not cool!). The not enough attention from parents thing i think may be apart of it, the only cure may be a partner who likes to cuddle while asleep to pin you down lol
|

replied September 6th, 2012
Just turned 27 and this still isn't over. I do not consciously rock my head back and forth to sleep, but sometimes find myself in a state of insomnia at the end of the night, thinking 'I'm never going to get to sleep because I am so awake. That will tire me out.' It's very strange. As someone with a large amount of self-control and dedication normally in life, this is one thing that I don't know how to address. I can tell myself I'm not going to do it before I go to sleep, right? That's one way to isolate it. I have to consciously think 'I'm not going to do this tonight.' I'll try it tonight and repost, since I'm here because I woke up doing it during a nap this afternoon when I was having a Nightmare. No one does research on this - I wonder if I ever rock during good dreams?
|

replied September 13th, 2012
Sleep rocking
I rock my in my sleep also. I have been doing it since I was a kid, my brother does it as well. I though we were the only ones. We should all get together and have a competition on who can rock fastest side to side. I do it mostly on my left side and switch sides every so often. I am 28 now and still do it, I love it, especially when listening to music. It is a great stresss reliever and after a long hard day and also helps you to control your weight. I am proud that I am a sleep rocker and wish it would be more commonly accepted in society. When I was young a relative caught me and my brother both rocking from side to side, she thought we were possessed by the evil till my gran said it was ok and that we were just like that. My bro and I were locked in a room for long periods as babies as my parents worked long hours so I guess that explains why we rock when sleeping. I find sleeping normally boring and rocking makes me tired so I fall asleep.
|
12 >>