Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Ring and middle fingers throbbing

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
User Profile
My ring finger and middle finger throb. It started about two weeks ago with numbness in my ring finger. Then, it was burning sensation. Of all my fingers, I realised only the middle side of the ring finger and the ring side of the middle finger are constantly feeling pain / numbness and throbbing. Sometimes, the pain can be in the arm, but usually not. My blood test and spine are ok. Does anyone know what could be the cause of the pain? I am not sure if it is carpal tunnel as mostly only ring and middle fingers. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2010
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Answer A12786
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. The possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome can’t be ruled out although in your case the symptoms are restricted only to the ring and the middle finger and there’s no involvement of the index finger and thumb. Systemic diseases like hypothyroidism and diabetes mellitus needs to be looked into.

Tests like nerve conduction velocity help in delineating the damage to the nerves. For the same, please consult a neurologist/orthopaedic surgeon as it is not possible to diagnose online. I sincerely hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.