Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Right thigh numb after inguinal hernia

Had the hernia op 12 days ago (keyhole) and all seems to be OK except that my right thigh feels quite numb. Can someone please tell me why this is?.

Is it an anasthetic that hasn't worn off and if so is this to combat pain that would be there if it wasn't numb?.

Anything other than a short walk can prove quite painful particularly when sitting down and also getting up off a chair / bed.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper slowdive
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
There is a sensory nerve that runs from the inside of the pelvis out to the anterior (front) of the thigh, called the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Occasionally, this nerve can be disturbed or injured during the course of a laparoscopic hernia repair.

Your symptoms may improve (often slowly, over a period of months), or they may not.

You should discuss these symptoms with your surgeon.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
Not that this will be helpful but I have exactly the same problem, op 7 days ago.
Ok sitting but as soon as i stand a searing burning pain runs across my right thigh, last for a few minutes then diminishes. Lasting numbness.
I go back for post op consultation in 4 weeks, I'll report back although I feel Dr Wascher has answered the question.
Kind regards
Dave
|

replied February 27th, 2013
Numbness in thigh after inguinal hernia repair through keysurge.
Hi guys. Had my key hole repair 9 days ago and have the same problem. Left thigh which is the same side as he hernia is numb. If my thigh was in quarters, it is the top left quarter that is numb down to the the knee. I also have a numb spot that runs over the thigh just above the knee. Burning sensation on the skin around the knee area which is sore to touch. Seeing my surgeon tomorrow so hopefully will be able to post some answers soon.

Kind regards

Dave
|

replied February 28th, 2013
Numb thigh after key whole hernia op
Right then. Just been back to see my surgeon about my numb leg.
First answer was the same as Dr Robert Wascher.
Second answer was that it's possible that one of the staples used to keep the mesh in place could have gone through the nerve.
I've been told to wait 6-8 weeks and see how it is. Surgeon said it could have sorted itself by then. If not. It's back for more surgery to fix it.
Really hope it fixes itself as I work for myself and really would be able to take even more time off work for more surgery.
Report back in 6-8 weeks if there is no improvement and try and give some more answers to the problem. Hope this is helpful to some one.

Dave
Leicestershire (England)
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.