Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

right testicle hanging low (Page 1)

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I had open inguinal hernia repair on 08-20. My right testicle is hanging much lower than it used to and i am unable to "lift" or draw it up. my left one seems to work fine but it feels like the surgeon severed something in there and old righty is hanging dead. My post surgery pain was going away but now seems to have stopped improving. I have pain when i sit or work or have sex. my doctor says he didnt disconnect anything and it will get better with time but of course he will say that if he cut old righty loose on accident. should i see a different doctor or is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
You may have a collection of fluid around the testicle (hydrocele), which is not uncommon after surgical repair of large inguinal (groin) hernias. An ultrasound of the groin and scrotum can detect/confirm such abnormalities very easily. In most cases, this colleciton of fluid will resolve of its own accord, in time.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

http://oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied December 7th, 2009
testical hanging when jumped from height
my left testical is hanging lower than the right..
when i jumped from height it happened.
after jumping i had little pain in left testicle.but now its hanging a little more wen compared to my right one.its very discomfort wen walking.and also slight pain.should i hv to consult a doc or leave it as it is. my age is 20
|

replied February 19th, 2010
droopy ball after inguinal hernia
i dont think i have hydrocele... i have the exact same symptoms as fatfester but with my left testicle. My inguinal hernia was done on the left side, and now my left testicle hangs way lower then before and just seems dead. I cant draw it up either. When i try, my right one is the only one that comes up. I also have an unusual feeling on the inside of my left thigh. Its almost like its numb but i can still feel it. Its a little uncomfortable but not really painfull. My doctor also said it would go away, but i only spoke english at the time and he spoke german... its been well over 5 months after the surgery and i still have a droopy ball.
|

replied April 4th, 2010
hernia and hang
I have the same problem as fatfester. Right side hernia surgery and right testicle hangs much lower. Also, I did the turn your head and cough test, and my left one moves, but the right does nothing. My surgery was performed in 2005, so its been this way for 5 years. Now by the end of the day, I''m in pain, even wearing briefs.
|

replied September 21st, 2010
Well its been over a year since my surgery and my right testicle is still hanging low and dead. My surgeon retired shortly after my surgery and my primary doctor ( in the same clinic system ) doesnt seem concerned and advised it isnt really fixable but would not admit the surgeon probably accidently cut it loose. IS this a normal/ fixable post surgery problem?
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
No one here mentions this phenomenon:

testicles generally retracts during daytime and graudally hang loose as night time comes when you are more relaxed or taking a shower..my doctor told me this is normal.

I had an operation 2 wks ago and the "hanging loose" part mostly annoys me at nights. I used to wear boxer shorts but now switched to jockey.

Just wondering whether everyone here has this "hanging" problem all throughout the day or only at times?
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Testicle Pain and Inguinal Hernia
I'm 28 and have had this same exact problem with my right testicle since December, 2005. I didn't have the hernia repair until October, 2007. The pain is the biggest problem for me. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to relieve it and gets very bad after I have had sex. It feels like I got kicked right between the legs and goes up into my lower right abdominal area. Is there anything I can do to get this fixed? All the doctors I have seen give up after they can't find anything visible on the MRI, Ultrasound, CT Scan, or X-ray
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Experienced User
The thing is...many people don't understand the dynamics of what holds the testicles in place and how a hernia surgery can affect this. During a hernia surgery the cremaster muscle, sometimes referred to as the cremaster bundle, is cut as part of the surgery to expose the spermatic cord. The muscle actually surrounds the spermatic cord and extends into the scrotum to also surround each testicle. If the surgeon does not properly close the cremaster muscle when he finishes the hernia surgery, you may experience a lower hanging testicle. Why is this? A few possible reasons, the muscles was cut and stitched to a different area, as part of the surgery, to accommodate the hernia repair. If the doctor did not approximate properly the distance, it will seem hang lower. For men that complain about testicular pain during urination or sex, that is because the muscle is attempting to work but it is damaged, either with scar tissue or nerve damage. If you are doubtful, please do some research on the cremaster muscle. Also, you can test this at home. If you (or your partner) gently scrape the scrotal skin (o the good side) where the testicle lie with your fingernails, you will observe the scrotal skins moves or seems to 'crawl' around. That is actually the cremaster muscle responding to external stimuli. This is also the same thing that occurs during ejaculation for me. Typically, during sexual stimuli and especially just before ejaculation, the cremaster muscle will pull both testicles up closer to your body's core. Again, do some research on this and you will better understand why you are hanging lower after a hernia surgery.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Respond to Bachow:

Hi there, I have done some study on the cremaster muscle myself. It's been 2 months after my surgery, my operation side is up during the day but when I am relaxed at nights or have consumed some alcohol, my surgery side would hang very low till I wake up the next day. This is bothering me a lot.

You mentioned that the doctor cuts the cremaster during surgery to expose spermatic chord. I agree that the abdominal cremaster muscle will be damaged but why do they have to expose the spermatic chord? My guess is it probably has nothing to do with hernia operation.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Experienced User
While you are correct that the spermatic cord has nothing to do with the actual hernia, it is exposed because, well...it's in the way. The surgeon needs a clear view of the posterior inguinal wall to have a full understanding as to where the defect or weakness is. A repair of the posterior inguinal wall is part of any hernia surgery whether it be a pure-tissue repair or mesh repair.

With those that have continuing pain after the surgery, known as PHPS (post herniorraphy pain sydrome), one possible reason for the pain is that the spermatic cord becomes encased in scar tissue from the surrounding surgical area. When people complain about burning, itching, stinging, and especially pulling sensations, and there is clearly no new bulge, one of the first things a truly up-front surgeon will tell you is that there may be excessive scar tissue encasing structures that should not be.

What about those that never complain about pain months or years after a hernia surgery? They are the lucky ones...not us. Sad
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Hi Bachow,

You seem pretty well acquainted with the medical terms, I studied pre-med back in college myself so I suppose you have similiar background or higher Smile

I personally do not have pain after surgery, but I do have "occasional" hanging low problem, as I mentioned previously. You mentioned about the self-test, and I do respond to external stimuli. However cremaster muscle should also respond to autonomous nerve control (if I am not mistaken) such as in what they call the Kegel exercise. I can lift up my non-surgery side testicle quite easy, but with the surgery I have to concentrate so hard only to have little upward movement. During daytime both testicles contract but at nights they become relaxed, but often the surgery side relaxes 'too much' and thus hangs low to a degree that I feel awkward with...very annoying. Hope this will get better in the future when all nerves and muscles regenerate back.

Any comment?
|

replied June 1st, 2011
I have the same concerns. Left Hernia repair (open not keyhole) about 3 weeks ago. I have the hanging testicle (i.e. non retracting) while the other is working normally. I went for the briefs option after feeling like I am 'all over the place' when walking around. I was hoping that this was temporary as the surgeon said in my post op consultation. Having read this forum I am gutted if the cremaster muscle is now paralysed for good..... To the medics out there... is this correctable? Is there any self help exercises that can help (i.e. similar to pelvic floor type). It currently feels completely dead and I don't want to agrivate post-op healing. Apart from the uncomfortable side of things, will this affect anything else (i.e. fertility)?

I am very grateful that hernia repairs nowadays seem a lot more simple that when I hear the old nightmares stories of older friends & family. However, numb skin below the scar, down to top of testicle and across to thigh to middle of pubic hair, (thankfully not the penis), and saggy testicle was not something I banked on.... pretty gutted and feeling sorry for myself haha!

Thanks in advance!
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Me too
I had inguinal hernia repair on my right side in 1996 and, although I did not immediately notice my drooping testicle (same side as surgery), I did notice it after a few years. Now, I'm 39 and it is 15 years since my surgery. My right testicle still descends lower that my left one and I still cannot voluntarily pull it up even though I can pull up my left one. I was hoping the ability would come back by now, but it has not and I doubt it ever will. I talked to my doctor about it, and he said I can have it surgically corrected (they probably just shorten a cord somewhere without restoring on-demand pull-up control - which I'm now convinced is done by the cremaster muscle after reading this page) but that doing so might negatively impact my ability to "sire" a child (as he put it). I think it's just an unfortunate side effect of the procedure and once they go in there and start cutting around, bad stuff can happen. If you're not experiencing pain and if all your junk works, my advice is to move on, find underwear that provide support and comfort, and don't make the situation any worse than it is by having additional/corrective surgery. It suc&s, but I think that's just how it is. PS. I miss wearing boxers. I still do sometimes, but it's annoying.
|

replied June 4th, 2012
Is there any way to restore that ability on the surgical side? aside from surgical solutions, are there any, say, exercises? I'd really like to know is there is something I can do
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Testicle hangs low after hernia repair. A lot of pain.
I got my inguinal operation 2 weeks ago onthe left side. My left testicle is hanging very very low. I dont mind that it hangs low but i cant stand the pain. It wasnt hurting until 2 days ago and i cant stand the pain. I need some advice. How long is this pain going to last? Does it get better? Or should i go talk to my doctor? Pleasei need some help what can i do? Im very scared and im im only 23.
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
what...
Notice how none of the doctors are responding? Must be nice to be in a profession where you can tell someone it will be a no-brainer type of surgery, only to find out that having your testicle hang low for the rest of your life might be a side effect. And from a number of people posting on the internet, it's a higher probability than they lead you to believe. Is it me or does anyone else find it odd, that a surgeon in this day and age, does not track the outcomes of their patients surgery so they can give a patient a better "odds" of a good or fair or poor recovery?

Seems to me this is easy enough to do. Maybe they don't because if people really knew, they wouldn't have the surgery unless it was really bad symptoms. And notice how the doctors don't answer the question, "CAN THIS BE REPAIRED?"
Why can't one of you doctors have big enough ones of your own to answer the question?
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
Similar problem, from injury
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar injury. My girlfriend fell on top of me and planted her knee in my groin, which pulled my left testicle downward as she fell. After the pain subsided it hung low and has since (about an inch lower than normal). Saw a urologist and learned that the testicle is ok, still has blood supply and is apparently still connected to my system, but there's no cremaster response on the left side. He suggested that I probably had nerve damage and that it might heal in a year, or never heal, and the testicle might never go back to where it was.

Like brocku and Will76, I want to know if there are exercises (kegels, stretches, whatever) I can do to help. My best understanding is that the spermatic cord has been stretched and bruised. Could it help to try to trigger the cremaster response daily?
|

replied July 31st, 2013
I have just had my hernia op 2 weeks ago and I am in the same sitution. Both testicles seemed at the same heigth after surgery but i think this was because I had ice on the operated side which contracted the cremaster.

I have been told that wearing a jockstrap helps the tissues to scarr in the right possition, I didnt get one of those untill the 6th post op day, my concern is if this would be too late or if scarring is not yet completed and the jackstrap might help?

Everyone, wear a jackstrap straight off surgery regardless the repair techniche used!
|

replied September 4th, 2013
Low hanging testicle following inguinal hernia repair
Hello all. I'd just like to share my experience of the hanging testicle problem. I had indirect inguinal hernia repair by the DESARDA method 3 months ago in Europe. For 8 weeks following the repair my testicle on that side was hanging low and unresponsive, and I was very worried. Wearing boxer shorts was almost impossible. However, on week 8 it started to move again; and now, 3 months after the operation, I am able to retract the testicle at will again, to about 60% of the range of movement in the other one, with each day bringing improvement. In my case it was either a compressed nerve or just the muscle healing naturally after incision to remove the hernia sac. I didn't do anything special to help it recover except the occasional test in the mirror to see if I could retract it. Good luck to anyone experiencing similar issues and worries!
|
12 >>
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.