Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Right kidney lighter color

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hi there,I've just came back from the hospital where I've had a ultrasound done,the nurse said that my right kidney has a lighter colour than the left one,which looks healthy,bladder looks healthy too but I'm very confused to what it might be.The reason was,I've start feeling some pain in my abdomen,lower left side,and feel bloated,like the kidney is swollen.I always wake up with that disconfort and I have to urinate straight away as it feels I'm going to explode!There's no pain when I urinate,so I thought it was a bladder problem.
the nurse will refer me back to my doctor,and I'll have to go there in 3 days time,untill then,I am freaking out!anyone has seen this before?
thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2017

Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Normally, when a kidney is viewed on the ultrasound, the cortex (outer portion of the kidney) and medulla (inner portion) can be differentiated due to specific cellular and tissue structures.

But due to any long standing chronic medical conditions like hypertension and diabetes, can result in tissue changes, with reduced renal function, and this results in appearance of both the cortex and medulla as similar zones and cannot be separately identified.

This is referred to as "loss of cortico-medullary differentiation".

Treatment in such a condition, would be to treat or control the underlying medical conditions like renovascular hypertension, or any other systemic disorders like diabetes, etc.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.