Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Right hand only always ice cold... Why?

For the past few months, my right hand is always cold. I do not feel any pains, nor discomfort, but my hand is freezing. Right now it is 68 degrees outside, and I am wearing jeans, socks, slippers, and 2 long sleeve shirts. My right hand feels as though it has been sitting in a bucket of ice water for an hour. It takes forever to warm up and when running warm/hot water on it, the water feels as if it is burning my hand.

Any ideas as to what is causing this would be greatly greatly appreciated!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms indicate the possibility of Raynaud's syndrome, triggered by exposure to cold temperatures.

Exposure to cold results in episodes of spastic constriction of the blood vessels, blocking the flow of blood. This causes the affected area to change colour to white, then blue and then finally red as the blood flow returns.

The symptoms may vary, but most people may feel pain, numbness and pins and needles in the affected body parts. They can last from a few minutes to several hours.

You might be able to control the symptoms using self care measures like avoiding cold, wearing gloves and quitting smoking.

In case the above measures do not help, prescription of vasodilator medications can help to control or prevent the symptoms. Hence you may consult with your doctor for a physical examination and specific treatment and advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.