Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

right epigastric abdominal pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
help. I started experiencing right epigastric abdominal pain in Sept & in Oct started experiencing severe nausea, acid reflux. I made an appt see my PCP she prescribed me omeprazole.That didn't help me so she referred me to a GI doc. In the mean time I had nausea almost a whole month. To make the story short. I continued to develop more symptoms such as nawing of stomach & abdominal discomfort, in total to date lost 13 pounds, stools turned yellow and soft, pain is now in the upper left abdomen, left back pain under shoulder or middle back pain. I have had 2 abdominal ultrasounds, 3 abd. ct scans, 1 with pancreas protocol, EGD,1 MRI, 1 MRCP, 1 stomach emptying test, 1 HIDA scan, and all blood tests are normal. Negative for celiac, negative tumor marker test CA ag 19-9. My doctors don't know what's wrong w/ me but all I know is that I am getting worse. I keep telling them its my pancreas (cancer)they say that I am too young (26) for that & tests would show something. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A18652
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Based of the history provided, your symptoms of long standing abdominal pain could be either due to Gastro esophageal reflux disease or due to Irritable bowel syndrome. Pain due to gastritis of GERD is usually very severe and can mimic many other serious conditions including a myocardial infarction (heart attack).

Since an extensive battery of tests have been done already, which have been normal. This definitely rules out any cancers.

You may benefit by the use of antacids as and when needed as well as better acid reducing medications available with prescription from your treating physician. You may also benefit by consultation with your psychiatrist who can evaluate and screen you for any anxiety or stress induced depression, which can sometimes manifest as somatic body pain disorder.

I hope this information here is helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.