Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Rib and Back Pain, It hurts to sit upright without leaning.

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I'm 14 and I've had a aching pain in the right side of my rib cage and back for about 2 weeks now. It hurts to sit upright without leaning against something. I haven't injured my ribs lately. I've tried heat packs and rest but neither worked. What could it be? Should I get it checked out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2012
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Pain on the right side of rib cage and back which is not being relieved by hot pack could be indicative of some underlying cause as:

1)Kidney stones which may present as pain radiating to the back. For this purpose you need to get an ultrasound abdomen and kidneys done.

2)Gall bladder disease- can be stones or cholecystitis.

3)Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy.
I suggest you to consult a Physician and get an ultrasound abdomen done to rule out the exact cause.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.