Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Rheumatoid arthritis and enlarged lymph nodes

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
User Profile
Is there any indication of RA being linked to HSV? Since my diagnosis I've been having frequent outbreaks (which were previously almost non-existent). Could there be a link between RA and my chronically enlarged lymph nodes in my neck? Also, is there anything I should be doing while I wait to see Dr (ie: if it 'hurts' should I stop doing things that may be stressing joints) or is the process of erosion just going to take it's course, regardless of what I do?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2008
Arthritis Answer A4114
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder. HSV outbreaks are not connected with the presence of rheumatoid arthritis for now because you don’t use any immunosuppressive therapy.

If there are enlarged lymph nodes on the neck for more than 2 years, a biopsy is needed to find out why those lymph nodes are enlarged. Rheumatoid arthritis can cause enlarged lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy).

Therapy of RA should be recommended and monitored by a rheumatologist. Therapy of RA includes: anti-inflamatory drugs (corticosteroids and NSAID), disease-modifying drugs, physical therapy, surgery, etc. A rheumatologist needs to prescribe the proper therapy. You can ask your doctor about taking certain painkillers like Motrin.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.