Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Return to work after tonsillectomy

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I am a high school resource teacher, and I work one-on-one with students all day. Basically, that means that I talk non-stop all day.

I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy on May 5, and I have told my immediate supervisor that I will need a substitute teacher for one week. She offered to book someone for longer than that, but since my doctor told me that I would need to take a week off work I thought that would be enough.

This weekend, I spoke with my sister who had a tonsillectomy a number of years ago. She thinks that given my line of work that I'd be crazy to go back to work after 1 week (there would be 4 remaining work days in that week). She feels that I should schedule my substitute now for those extra 4 days.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those who have had first hand experience with a tonsillectomy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 21st, 2009
You need more than a week!!!
I'm twenty years old and today is day eight for me following my tonsillectomy. Right after you are discharged from the hospital, you will probably feel like you are improving quickly and that the post surgery isn't that bad. However, it get's worse before it gets better. Today is my eighth day and here are my remaining symptoms:
1. Very sore throat waking up and throughout the day so far
2. Extremely painful ear drums, especially when swallowing food/water (The pain in my eardrums is only recently a problem for me)
3. Slight headache going along with my ear drums I'm assuming
4. Still painful to talk but getting much more tolerable
I hope this helps you! Trust me though, you need much longer than a week! Unless you're a toddler getting it done, recovery sucks Sad Just keep in mind the whole time that it's so worth it in the long run!
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I kind of knew that after reading all of the post-tonsillectomy stories on this forum and other forums, but it's good to get advice directly from someone who's been there.

I hope that you are feeling back to normal soon!
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Thank you, me too! I have a post op check up tomorrow so I hope I'm right where I should be!
I hope everything goes well with your surgery and good luck with a speedy recovery Smile
|

replied June 18th, 2009
I am a 22 year old woman who just had my tonsils taken out last Friday, so technically I'm on Day 6 Post-op surgery. It's painful as Hell to say the least. Here's what I'm still going through:

1. Even More sore and painful throat as I'm waking up
2. The stinging sensation because of the Tylenol in my throat. I literally cried after I took my medicine an hour ago
3. Painful ear pain!!
4. I still have the mucus
5. I'm practicing talking, and its not that bad, but soon I have to stop because my throat gets scratchy.

Warm foods and drinks like tea and ramen noodles help. Popsicles you still have to do but after a while your teeth become so numb to it. You can actually at this point suck the mucus off the top of your throat, nasty I know, but I think it helps.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!! Smile
|