Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Repetitive Thoughts

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
What does it mean when you have repetitive thoughts? Certain phrases or sentences will repeat themselves in my head over and over. It's a lot like having a song stuck in your head except that it's words. (I get songs stuck in my head a lot too). It starts to piss me off sometimes because I'm sick of thinking that one thing. Is this an OCD thing or something else? I have psychosis.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper winema
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
It means you're normal. :] Well, as far as psychosis goes. Does it feel like auditory hallucinations are prompting these thoughts? If so, then saying "like having a song stuck in your head" is exactly right. Your brain may be trying to process the random info it's receiving. Try meditation (find some relaxing music, turn it down low, close your eyes, and count your breaths. Watch your thoughts come and go like clouds drifting by a mountain). It helps with a number of things.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Wow I have the same thing and can't get any answers. It's driving me crazy. A sentence or phase will keep repeating over and over in my head like record that is scratch and keeps skipping over and over. No matter how hard you try to force it to stop or not think about it keeps doing it anyway. It comes and goes through out the day with almost nothing you can do to control it. Does any doctor have a idea what this is and how it can be stopped?
|

replied June 7th, 2010
schizophrenia
From Wikipedia: It is well-known that "thinking happy thoughts" can make person feel better, lessen the pain, bring back a good mood, increasing levels of "feel-good" neurotransmitters like dopamine. Even thinking about reward like sex, drugs, alcohol, food, can increase the dopamine levels.[75][76] Researchers found that patients given a placebo released dopamine, just as the brain exposed to an active drug would do.[77] However, some patients are abusing the "thinking happy thoughts" reward system, deliberately invoking happy memories and happy thoughts again and again to naturally produce the "feel-good" neurotransmitters in their brain. This is similar to drug addiction: nearly all drugs, directly or indirectly, target the brain�s reward system by flooding the circuit with dopamine.[78] As a person continues to overstimulating the �reward circuit�, the brain adapts to the overwhelming surges in dopamine by producing less of the neurotransmitter or by reducing the number of receptors in the reward circuit. As a result, chemical�s impact on the reward circuit is lessened, reducing the abuser�s ability to enjoy the things that previously brought pleasure.[78] This decrease compels those addicted to dopamine to increasingly "think deep thoughts" in order to attempt to bring the neurotransmitter level back to normal � an effect known as tolerance. This explains why many of the schizophrenia patients have increased levels of dopamine. Development of the tolerance can eventually lead to profound changes in neurons and brain circuits, with the potential to severely compromise the long-term health of the brain.[79] Modern antipsychotics are designed to block dopamine function. Unfortunately, this blocking can also cause relapses in depression, and can increase addictive behaviors.[80] ========== You better stop thinking pleasant "repetitive thoughts" before it drug you down to schizophrenia Smile
|

replied March 30th, 2011
repetetive thoughts
I am relieved to hear that others are experiencing the same as me. Repetetive thoughts. Thank God it doesnt effect my over all day but deffinetly has worried me, since about 7 years ago with my third baby I got a horrible case of post pardom deppresion, and repetitive thoughts was a big part of that exept much faster and deffinetly uncontrolable and the amount of repetition was constant. real scary so whenever i have a one or two time repetition on what ever givien day it brings me back and fear takes over, the Big question am I ok will I develope alshiemers because my mind is weak I dont know??? concerned.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
Mfasha
Mfasha, you are invoking these thoughts yourself, because they make you feel better for at least a short time. This is similar to drug addict injecting drugs to get high for a moment. All drugs and alcohol are making us feel good by increasing dopamine flow in the brain circuits. Also rewarding experience like sex, good food, pleasant feelings are releasing the dopamine. Neuroscience had proved that even thinking about rewarding experience can increase the dopamine flow and make a person feel better. However, do not abuse your reward system, because this is similar to drug addiction - makes you feel good for a moment, but it is easy to lose control, get too addicted, and forget your real life. Repetitive thinking is the main symptom of schizophrenia also... Modern antipsychotics are designed to block the dopamine, and can help you take your repetitive thoughts under the control. But this medication can only be proscribed by a doctor and can lead to depressions as side-effect. It would be much better if you take your thoughts under the control yourself, and get your pleasant share of dopamine from natural sources like love, joy and hobbies.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Oh my I do the repetitive thing to all the time but I guess other times l don't notice so much sometimes it just won't quit and every half thought even echoes into each other check this out it's so bad that I obnoxiously repeat myself because my brain repeats it and even worse you won't believe this one but sometimes people see me talking with them and I say what and when they repeat what they just said I mouth the words along with them I thought I couldn't hear til my daughter says no way mom you had to hear me or u wouldn't gave known what I was saying so it's like my brain repeats even what other people say too pretty scary sometimes but just try to keep happy peaceful and busy
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
OCD or what?
I have constantly been repeating the same thing since late August. The thought: "I'm constantly rehearsing everything." Recently I realized the all the things I'd been "rehearsing" were EXAMPLES of "I'm constantly rehearsing everything" Reading and conversations make it stop, nothing else. I have to knock myself out at night so I can sleep, then sometimes I dream it all night. I can't work anymore. Finally went to a shrink and he's treating me for OCD. That's an anxiety disorder with unpleasant thoughts. That's not very much like what I have. Has anyone heard of anything like this?
|

replied March 20th, 2012
constantly rehearsing is the best discription of what im having a problem with. what is this?? its like ill think to myself ill say to her..."i really like that hat on you" then it will keep playing in my head...nonstop until i force myself out of it. it doesnt really fit into OCD catagory, but its obsessive.. wish i could find an answer..
|

replied August 14th, 2011
repetitive thoughts
After the bith of my second baby , I had these repetitive thoughts coming to my mind . These were not scary in nature , but they over and over again that I thought to see a doctor and who told me that it could be OCD .These thoughts are so crazy , like eg , during pregnancy i used to feel hungry , and therefore , I used to eat late in nights and brush my teeth say at 2 AM ,after eating something . Now I need to answer my mind that why , I used to brush my teeth at 2 AM , and then I give answers again and again . I am trying to write down my thoughts but still , things remain as they are . This is happening since past more than a month or so , even a change of place to my parents did not help
|

replied April 19th, 2012
I also have a repetitive word stuck in my head sometimes it's so bad I can't control it I haven't had this all my life it started with stress from my early twenties and comes and goes im now 29 and recently had another stress episode and this repetitive word has gotten worse is this symptoms of ocd? Or panic disorder can anyone help? Need advice? Regards lee.
|

replied August 8th, 2012
majority of thinking is repetitive. our society is obsessed with conflict, it's everywhere around us and we are also the most mentally stimulated society ever. there are flashing lights and colors and flickering TV's everywhere. it's only too easy that the mind runs on and on with recurring thoughts. it's all about conditioning yourself on when to acknowledge those thoughts.

conflict requires you to acknowledge and perpetuate the stream of thought. it feeds on itself. I have thoughts all day long but i don't acknowledge them. Eckhart Tolle describes it as "clouds passing by, they are there but i don't always pay attention to them" a thought can go in and out of my head without noticing. when i stopped perpetuating the cycle, i realized 90% of my discomfort was in my own head. it was repetitive negative thinking.

I feel like it's the creative and intelligent sides of the brain feeding on each other. ever wonder who it is that's listening when you have a thought, or who is thinking the thought your listening to? it sounds like nonsense but just use your intellect as a human being and consider it for a moment. then watch, maybe it helps. maybe not, but consider it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFDfR47dl4
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
hi,whenever i hear a song it comes repeatably in my mind..plz tell me a solution for that how can i get these songs out of my mind ....how can i avoid this disease ..
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
hi,whenever i hear a song it comes repeatably in my mind..plz tell me a solution for that how can i get these songs out of my mind ....how can i avoid this disease ..
|

replied April 6th, 2013
Did you guys noticed any food helping in decreasing repetitive thoughts.
|

replied July 13th, 2013
Repeat Thoughts
What it iswhere it comes fromwhy? These might not be possible to answer, and having the answer does not necessarily solve the problem. I was born in 1972, USA. I noticed I did this sometime when I was very youngmaybe 5th or 6th grade. It has never stopped. The way I deal with it is by using it as a way to help myself in life. For example when I played trumpet I improved because I would repeat the music in my mind to perfection, later I took interest in foreign languages and did the same repeating sentences and phonetic sounds to perfection. In my career I have been a designer and I repeat images in my mind and add a little change to the shape or the color or the size and finally have my own unique design as a result of using repeat thoughts to my advantage. I even allow repeat thoughts to help me assure myself about right and wrong. It has allowed me the joy of watching movies multiple times or the simplicity of eating the same boring food for a month at a time, I mean honestly yes I would love to eat something different every day but I also have the ability to be satisfied with hot dogs every day for lunch. This may sound strange but in China (been here 5 years) they eat rice at every meal breakfast, lunch, and dinnerso I imagine there are quite a few people in this country too that have repeat thoughts. I think this is likely possibly that repeat thoughts are a very natural brain function but can be displaced or being used in unwanted areas of thought. I imagine a soldier at war values the repeat thought during war to save their life. I imagine it is possible to feed this thing, allow it space to exist and do its thingit might never go away, so I choose to use it. I find my repeat thoughts do disappear when I resolve problem that is in thought or channel the energy into an activity like swimming, walking, jogging etc. Honest! It is amazing what a 15 minute walk in the morning watching the sun come up can do!
|
Tags: ocd, head
Quick Reply