Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Reoccuring scab on scalp

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
For as long as I can remember, since I was little (I'm now 29), I get a reoccuring scab on the same place on my scalp yearly when summer starts and I am in the sun more. Sometimes it can be around the size of a nickel other times smaller around the size of a pencil eraser. It can last for a few weeks or a couple months then just kinda fade away again till the next year. I don't really have any loss of har in that area, it is where a natural part is so it's not covered as well. Is this something that I should be worried about and have checked out?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MorganD
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
This could be a scalp eczema or scalp psoriasis.

Talk with dermatologist!
|

replied April 25th, 2010
Same thing
I have the same thing, but on the very back of my scalp (no hair loss either). I have no idea what it could be. Its happened a lot in the same spot, but I was never concerned about it until last year. It lasted months for me too. I wear my hair up a lot, so I assumed that was the problem. Well, it''s back again. I don''t spend any time in the sun, but I did go tanning every other day for a couple months a few years ago. That may be completely unrelated to the scab, but a sure possibility. Good luck! I''ll be searching for an explanation too.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Me too! I remember I first found it when I was about 5 or 6. It's not too small either, about the size of a 5 cent piece (Oz) or a pinky fingertip?? However I never noticed a correlation between the sore/scab and Summertime... Mine it forms like a dip in the scalp when present/if I pick at it (which I probably shouldn't!! And it is ALWAYS in the same identical place. Ends up like a little Crater. WEIRD!
|

replied July 15th, 2011
I fixed it
I had the same thing for 20 years.

I just "cured" it....at least I think so.

I went to the dermatologist and just told him to cut it out. He did it and then had it sent for analysis. They came back with "some type of Psorasis".

After the surgery he gave me a spray on topical antiseptic called Merfin.

I used it every day after the surgery.

It came back again after the surgery but slightly off of the place it was for 20 years. It was not as big though as it had benn for those 20 years.

I got lazy about using Merfin but them began seeing that it seemed to get better when I sprayed Merfin on in the morning after my shower.

I then saw progress of sure and kept using the Merfin once a day...3-4 sprays on the spot.

They poof! It is gone. I still feel where it was and it is feeling like a normal part of my scalp now...

First time in 20 years.

There is something in this Merfin stuff and it seems to be some type of an tough infection that I could not sure with anti viral drugs, antibiotics (almost every varety), tar shampoos, topical antibiotics, lancing the center with a needle (tried myself out of frustration)....

The Merfin stuff did the trip. 20 years of that damn thing and now it is looking like it is gone for good.

I hope this helps.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
i have kinda the same thing but i have several scabs that stay in the same spots, i've just now noticed them and im 16 years old, i don't have lice, and my mom says oh honey it's just dandruff, but i know it's not. My scabs vary from the size of a 10 cent piece to the size of a quarter. If you find out anything i'm eager to know.
|

replied May 1st, 2012
scab on scalp
I just went to the dermatologist for the same thing, scab on head for 2 1/2 years. Biopsy came back non-cancerous but was told it was a hereditary age spot?? I'm 33!! I am totally baffled and am doing research. Dr. said no cure but I read home remedies I may try. I'm open for suggestions.
|

replied October 14th, 2012
Listerine For Psoriasis
I have had a scaly scab spot on my scalp for 6 months. Coal Tar shampoo reduces it, but doesn't cure it. A friend recommended Listerine, and I have tried it twice in 2 days and noticed good results, its almost gone!
Here's a link describing the use...
|

replied February 2nd, 2014
Scalp scabs
I used to have the same thing but wouldn't do antibiotics because I know how bad longtime exposure can beso I tried doTERRA Essential Oils and it went away! I used Geranium, Frankincense, Helichrysum and Myrrh in a salve!
|