Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Reoccuring Black Lips

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
My mother's lips turns black, a deep tar black. It's like a thick covering or film encases her lips. They become painful. It comes and goes and has been for years. She is afraid to go the the doctor. She is also a recovering drug addict. I tried to comfort her by telling her that she doesn't have cancer or HIV because I have never heard of a person's lips turning black from those diseases. Can someone please tell me several ideas on why a person's lips may turn black and not a smoker's black. She has a hard covering that is black on her lips and if she peels it she has raw lip showing. I know it sounds gross but you should see it! Please help!
Thank you so very much!
-A concerned daughter-
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 24th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi and Welcome
Sorry this took so long. I hope your mom is ok. She really should see a Dr. Not knowing is sometimes worse, I think.
|
Did you find this post helpful?