Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Removing rod in femur ?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I broke my right femur a little over two years ago in a car accident. I am 19 years old. I got the titanium rod and three screws put in. I've always had pain with it and still do. My doctor really pushed not to get it taken out unless it gets infected because sometimes they just don't come out. I have gone back to him about my pain and possibly wanted it taken out. He told me I would have a little pain the rest of my life and that I would just have to get use to it and exercise. It hurts when i run, walk for a long time, when its cold, rains, and when i drive. I have been reading on the internet of other people's similar stories and I am really thinking about getting it taken out even though my doctor disagrees. Please give me some advice on what to do because my parents also are siding with the doctor but i want it removed.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2010
Community Volunteer
You are young...You will never be physically what you were before this accident...Get a second opinion from another Orthopedist....If he agrees with the other doctor, then side with your parents and both of them...I think I would add to their vote...You just can't change what you can't change...

You are young and I feel sorry for you, but you have a leg...It is still there...You could have lost it in the accident....Go by what the experts say....Good luck....

Caroline
|

replied December 4th, 2010
I am in the same boat as you. I was in an accident when I was 21, and have the rods in both femurs, and the right tibia. I am now 40, and my body is rejecting the rods. I have been to an orthopedic, and he suggests that I have them removed, and referred me to an orthopedic traumatologist. It's scaring the (you know what) out of me, but it's a BIG decision I am going to have to make. I wish you luck in what ever decision you make.
|

replied March 6th, 2013
how bad things can happen( its how we handle it.)
as for the removal...i have also relate to seeking avenues as to the removal of this rod in my left femer from a home invasion.i find it strange i was already under a attack incountering a hassal, burgaries,arson, an threats behind a malpractice suite against some lawyers, for settling my civil suite case without my permission.so less than two months after being bullied facing hardship stolen property. an possible fruad of my sutie that happened from being shot in my left femer from the home invasion. i incountered this back in july 2008 i had to use the serivces of victums of crimes to pay the hospital bills.
as i still add to the statements i was told to leave it in due to the fact the bone grows around the rod an its not a easy surgery. so i came to the ablity to live with pain. an after long walks i limp, change of weather.so behind that night, an all i have encountered i learned that life is a blessing we all have seen people that find a away threw all our pain hate anger ect. an suffering. tomorrow isnt promised an there is a god that knows all an sees all. an as we get older we will endure .......as its the blessing of pain that strenghten us... but always looking for it to be removed
|