Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Removal of titanium rods and screws

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I had L4-L5 fused 8 months ago. I have constant pain and have received
2 epidurals that have not helped and am now faced with removal of the
rods and screws to relieve the pain. Is this going to relieve my pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I have not had a fusion, but have read on other forums as well as have a friend that had similar problems.

Once her hardware was removed her pain was gone.

She also said that the surgery to remove the hardware was far easier and quicker recovery than the fusion and surgery.

My own spine surgeon has told me that once your are fully fused, there is no reason for the hardware to be in place and he ends up having to remove hardware in 50% of his patients.

Just be sure that you are fully fused before the hardware removal surgery, unless you have not fused at all and need the fusion redone.

Fran
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
i have had 4 back surgeries and was told that the need to wait 2-3 years before removing them to make sure the fusion is solid
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
i have had 4 back surgeries and was told that the need to wait 2-3 years before removing them to make sure the fusion is solid
|

replied November 14th, 2013
Insurance denial
My back is fused from my L2-S1 from a snowboarding injury almost two years ago. I asked my doctor if the removal of my rods will relieve pain. I'm having sciatic pain and my sacrum is in consist pain. My insurance will not approve my surgery because they say it is not a medical emergence. I'm a young and active person, and I'm afraid if I don't get the rods removed it will cause more serious problems. What should I do?
|

replied March 28th, 2014
back surgery
my husband has had back surgery over two years ago and he have never had much pain relief. He has gone on a monthly base for 2 to 3 shots in his spine are for some relief not to count the pain pills and muscle relaxer.
the last time he went the Doc gave him a general pain killer where the screws are located he did get s few hours relief but was advised the he would must likely have to get the screws and rod removed. He also indicated that this has be common problem he has found with this type of surgery. I hate to see him go through the 2nd surgery because he almost died during the 1st.
but I hate seeing him in so much pain too.
|
Quick Reply