Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Removal of Silver fillings

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Is a standard dentist drill the only way to remove old silver fillings or can newer divices such as laser or air abrasion drill be used? Or perhaps some other method that I don't know about? I am trying to find the method that would give the least amount of force on my jaw.
My trigeminal nerve has been somewhat inflammed for over a year & too much additonal force causes dizziness. The docs have no answers. Any info on removal of fillings is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2010
Hi! To my knowledge, lasers cannot be used to remove silver fillings. Air abrasion theortically may work, but it probably would be awfully slow and unprecise. Usually removed and placing fillings do not have much force on the jaw, no where near the levels of removing a tooth. Hope that helps.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Thanks 4 the answer. In my situation, based on past experience, there is a reasonable amount of force when drilling into a tooth. I was hoping somebody invented another way 2 do it.
|