Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Removal of an ovary and the effect on a period

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
if you have one ovarie how does that affect your period

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2010
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A10569
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether there could be any changes in a period if a female individual has only one ovary.

Female individuals may experience removal of one ovary due to cysts, benign or malignant tumors, or torsion. Usually they don't experience changes in the period after the surgery. The other ovary will produce the normal level of estrogen and progesterone. Women can still become pregnant in case they have only one ovary.

Given the data that you described, you fear that you might have to have one of your ovaries removed. The surgery won't affect the period. However, if the remaining ovary produces low hormone levels, then you may experience irregular cycles.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gynecologist for further advice and information about the connection between removal of one ovary and menstrual cycles.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.