Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Regaining strength after prolonged bed rest?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I have been sick with mononucleosis for 5 weeks. During my 3rd week of illness, I tried to stand up and walk around for a couple minutes when I woke up in the morning. After about 10 minutes I passed out. I have gotten over the worst of my mono, and when relaxing, I just feel like I'm totally better. I am able to move around a little more freely and get back into my normal life but I have lost a ton of fat and specifically muscle. After about 30 minutes I get achey and shakey. I don't want to head back into things full force right away because I do not want to put myself at risk for fainting again, but my new school semester starts January 9th and I want to be strong enough to handle campus life again. How can I start to train my body to get back into things like walking around and living normally, and how can i regain muscle without exercising? I cannot exercise because I am at risk for rupturing my spleen.

Thanks alot
Katie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
K80,

Unfortunately, you cannot regain muscle without exercising. After mononucleosis you are not supposed to participate in contact sports. You can exercise.

Walking is probably the best general exercise for overall general fitness and cardiovascular fitness. You don't need any equipment, except for comfortable clothing and a good pair of shoes. You can start at any distance, increasing it just a little everyday.

Stationary biking is also a great overall fitness exercise. Again, start at any resistance and time, but just increase it every day or so, just a little.

Swimming or water aerobic are another great exercise.

Light weight lifting can focus on specific muscles groups that you want to strengthen.

Basically, you just have to start doing something. You want to get your heartrate up and tax your muscles, just a little bit. You can do the same exercise for several sessions in a row, and when it become fairly easy at that level, increase the distance, resistance, or time.

Getting back from illness and being sedentary is just like getting into shape to play a sport.

So, you might start with walking till you feel strong enough to take on some other exercise. But, you will have to be dedicated to doing the exercise. You have to exercise at least 4 days a week to build muscles and endurance. Less than that, you will mostly maintain what you have, you may gain a little, but not much.

Good luck.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
You can also start doing yoga. Yoga reduces anxiety and stress, resulting in better health, better mood, and better concentration throughout the day.
|