Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Refilling Adderall Xr ?

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
I take Adderall Xr for ADHD, and lately I''ve been having some trouble getting it filled. It seems that every time I drop off my prescription, I come back to be told "your insurance wont pay for it until [some date a few days later]."

This wasn''t a big deal at first, because I had a week or two worth of buffer built up for when the idiots at the pharmacy lose my prescription (this actually happened), but now that buffer is running out. I just checked my records. I filled my script on 03/10/2010 last month. The pharmacy is telling me that insurance wont pay until today, 4/9/2010; EXACTLY 30 days later.

Wow, really?! It seems my buffer is running low, because I''m not refilling on the first possible day I''m eligible to. Presumably they want me to get my prescription, wait two days (my doctor has me in every 4 weeks, vs 30 days), drop it off, and pick it up the same afternoon; or else miss a dose. Has anyone dealt with this kind of inflexibility? Most insurance companies allow you to fill it like, up to a week early, yea?

What do you guys think? Are the pharmacy employees being incompetent again, or Is my insurance company really tying their hands this way? What would you do? I''m with Aetna by the way.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 14th, 2010
that's bad they should give you your pills since you have the prescription and all
|

replied April 24th, 2010
You just need to make sure you stick to the prescribed dosage so you don't run out before the alloted amount of pills prescribed. Them pharmacies are sticklers about Adderall and any other controlled pharmaceuticals.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Refill controlled substance prior to insurance refill date
The insurance company should be accepting your refill, at the very least, 28 days after your last fill. The date the insurance company goes by, to determine if they will approve the refill, is the fill date which you can find on the prescription label, on the bottle itself, not the day you dropped it off or picked it up. I take a different controlled substance that has the same legal rules as Adderall. If I go earlier than insurance allows, I have been allowed to fill it without going through my insurance company. When that happens, I pay full price so I have only done this once in the 2+ years of being on this med. I did it because I was leaving for a two week vacation out of the country and needed my meds to go with me! Anyway, the full price was substantially higher than (obviously) my co-pay and even higher than the price I pay when I max out my rx benefits through insurance. When I max out, I have to pay the full price but the fact that I have a certain insurance company approving the refill means that the full price is discounted. Everyone's policy and rx limits are different. You may not have limits like I do so don't worry too much about that stuff. Ask your pharmacy to fill it without submitting to the insurance company. The pharmacy will most likely call the Dr's office to verify the prescription but as long as you are in compliance with your Dr., there shouldn't be a problem. If your pharmacy refuses to fill without submitting to the insurance then try a pharmacy you've never used. Tell them you do not have insurance and they will likely fill after calling the Dr. to verify the quantity and dosage. They don't talk to the actual dr in most cases. They just ask for verification from the person who answers the Dr's office's phone, assuming they can look up your record. Good luck!
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Uh, that's how it works. yes, obviously you drop off and pick up your prescription for a Controlled Substance on the day its due to be filled. Pharmacies have like 15-20 minute waits usually...
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2011
Is there anyway to have a prescription for Adderall XR 30MG automatically refilled, cause relying on parents to pick up meds is ridiculous. And then of course having them automatically delivered. I use Walmart as my Pharmacy, is there any way I can set up through them or different Pharmacy for deliver and/or automatic renewal?
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
As someone who works in a medical supply company/pharmacy, I just want to tell you that they're feeding you bull. It's true that your insurance will refuse to pay if you receive the adderall "too early", but that all has to do with how the pharmacy does the billing. If you get your pills even a couple of days early, the pharmacy has the right to hold off on billing the insurance until your eligibility date comes up provided that it's within five or so business days. I say switch out to a new place or contact your insurance because a month long wait is just ridiculous. Something like that means there's an issue with your authorization (provided you have HMO insurance).
|