Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Reducing pain of Dysmenorrhea

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
When i'm on my period, especially on the super heavy days, I get this unbelievably sharp pain that starts in the anal area and shoots up, as if someone is shoving a sharp knife up my rectum. It hurts my anus and the area between my anus and vagina.
The pain itself only lasts 5-10 seconds (although it feels longer). I can feel it comming, and I have just enough time to brace myself. The pain comes so strong I can't breath, and it jolts me out of my seat. It is the WORSE pain I have ever felt. This tends to happends in clusters. It feels like maybe a muscle is being pulled or a nerve is being pinched just inside my anus, and gives the sensation that someone is shoving a sharp object into my anus. It really feels like I might pass out or die.

I've done countless hours of "googling" but nothing matches my symptoms or situation. Also, I have an IUD, but I got this pain before the IUD, although it is worse now.

What is causing this pain? is it dangerous? what can I do make it stop

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A5759
Current medical status: general anxiety, panic disorder, agoraphobia, since age 15.
Current medical treatment: no longer on SSRIs, since I get terrible side effects from everything. Take the occasional Xanax, as needed. currently doing weekly CBT with psychiatrist.

According to the data, you might be experiencing dysmenorrhea. Dysmenorrheal is a painful menstrual bleeding. The pain that you experience might be due to detaching the inner lining of the womb. The sensory nerves can sometimes present a wrong location of the pain because they are responsible for sensations from several locations. When the sensation is too strong, a slight mistake including wrong location of the pain might occur (another example: almost every pain that originates from the abdominal organs can be felt as pain on the skin of the abdominal wall). If the pain is accompanied with bigger bleeding and clogs during that day, this possibility is more probable.

You might want to visit your gynecologist to rule out other possible conditions. Mean while, applying heat on the place or on your lower abdomen might decrease the intensity of the pain.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.