Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Redness on top of hands

I am searching for any information on an unusual hand condition that I have had for at least 5 years. I have red splotches on the top of my hand, which vary with temperature and use of the hand. They worsen when: it is hot; after a shower; or get sweaty. There is no pain, swelling, or itching. It is just a sensation of being warm. There are many circular red spots on top of the hand and other sized patches, as well as a general redness. My family doctor sent me to a dermatologist, who was of no help, she suggested that it might be eczema. I have had eczema in the past and know what that is like - this is more vascular, because it varies in intensity throughout the day (it will fade & become light and then become red, etc.). My hands do not go numb at all or turn white or blue. I have had wrist pain in both hands, but Xray did not show any arthritis. There is also some thickening of the skin of the middle joint of the fingers, with red patches on or near the joints. I currently have ankle arthritis, which is getting better. About me: I am a female in my 40's and I take the following meds: hydroxyzine; atenolol; estradiol; prometrium; and Fosamax. The only allergy I am aware of is to penicillin. I am active and otherwise healthy. Any help, advice would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2009
Skin discoloration usually isn't anything serious. My hands will be splotchy after a shower, or exercising in heat. I have noticed it but not really worried about it. My face will also get splotchy temporarily with similar circumstances. My insulin was high last i had blood work done, otherwise i am young and very healthy. It could just be dehydration. Try drinking a lot of water.
|
Did you find this post helpful?