Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

red wine and Gout (Page 1)

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I have suffered gout now for three years. I have tried all kinds of ways to avoid new attacks but I feel like my gout is getting more frequent over time. There is one lifestyle change that I have put off and feel like I am at a point to make the ultimate sacrifice: Quit drinking wine. I have always consumed alcohol almost on a daily basis. I quit drinking beer and reduced liquor and became interested in good wines...I saw some studies stating red wine (in moderation) is OK for gout sufferers. Can you let me know how effective quitting alcohol or severely limiting it has been to you?
I drink 3 glasses of red wine on a typical night...More on the weekends.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Slingshot
|
Users who thank Pesteroni for this post: serbiz 

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2008
Drinking 3 glasses of wine per night is anything but moderate drinking. Beer, wine, and whiskey are the worst things you can drink. You will get less attacks once you completely cut out alcohol.
I don't think you will find any long term gout sufferers who advocate moderate or any type of drinking.
sorry
|
Users who thank tommytowne for this post: Slingshot 

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Drinking alcohol has a catabolic effect on the cells which results in their generation of excess uric acid. Drinking alcohol within a few hours of bedtime also can exacerbate sleep apnea, which can cause a gout attack, as I have described in other posts. All gout sufferers should be screened for sleep apnea, not only to cure their gout, but more importantly to prevent the life-threatening consequences of long-term untreated sleep apnea.
|

replied June 14th, 2008
Pseudo gout diagnosis
I was hospitalized about a year ago for severe pain and swelling in my right knee when I didn't respond to prednisone or outpatient antibiotics that were administered intraveneiously on a daily basis. I was attended to by a gastroenterologist, infectious disease, and a rheumatologist. I was discharged 6 days later as the swelling seemed to go down in my knee. Upon returning home it seemed to spread to my right foot. I went to work (construction) with much pain and hobbling. After about a month and a half that also seemed to go away. Now I am once again experiencing the same swelling and fever that I had with the right foot. I went to a podiatrist and he said that I probably had pseudo gout and gave me a cortisone shot in my ankle that only lasted for one day. I know the difference between pseudo gout and gout is the crystal type , and the fever. I was going to try the baking soda remedy and see what the results are. Anyone else experienced the same?
|

replied June 14th, 2008
I too have read research carried out in Canada that gave Red Wine a green light (along with most vegetables previously listed as suspect) The key will be the moderation, which like Pesteroni, I find rather difficult to comply with. After a life of pain and misery from gout, red wine consumption seems rather soothing - it certainly lowers my stress levels!

Pesteroni, rather than make the ultimate sacrifice, maybe you should just buy exceptionally fine wine and steel yourself to drink a single glass each night? Let us know how it goes if you do.
|
Users who thank pegleg for this post: Pesteroni 

replied July 14th, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion
I am going to try follow pegleg's suggestion and upgrade to finer wines. That way I am not giving up one of my significant pleasures of life...I will try to reduce the quantity particularly on days when my diet has not been optimal. I can sometimes go months without an attack even with wine consumption. However, during those months I have eaten healthy and exercised regularly. Thanks for the suggestion!
|
Users who thank Pesteroni for this post: metaforge 

replied July 15th, 2008
Give up the Red wine...
Pesteroni wrote:
I am going to try follow pegleg's suggestion and upgrade to finer wines. That way I am not giving up one of my significant pleasures of life...I will try to reduce the quantity particularly on days when my diet has not been optimal. I can sometimes go months without an attack even with wine consumption. However, during those months I have eaten healthy and exercised regularly. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am a vintner of 7 years... I have a basement full of home made wine... I now have to give it away... I wish I could give you my blessing, but One glass of wine for me is not possible... BUT ....

I guess a gout attack or sensitivity is a personal thing... My neighbor suffers from gout... BUT not all the time... and he drinks all the time... (My wine) .... so for him, he is not too close to the border for having an attack...

One glass puts me over ...
|

replied August 28th, 2008
I`ve stopped drinking alcohol and so far so good no attacks,
|

replied November 27th, 2008
No alcohol, then what?
what substances do people use that does not bring on an attack?
|

replied February 18th, 2009
Conflicts on wine
Just read a 2004 study stating that red wine is not a problem if <2 glasses per day. On the other hand other gout sufferers appear to be saying that they think it does have a causal affect on gout.
Can anyone point to a definitive study that sheds light on the dilema as I like Pesterino's idea....
|

Red wine
According to a Gout book I just read (that was recently published), one glass of red wine per day is supposed to have some positive effects.

However one thing that is pretty clear in reading the various forums is that no two people are alike in what triggers attacks in them. In the end, you'll probably just need to experiement and see how you do.
|

the hard part is isolating variables to know what is causing a reaction. i suppose it come with time.
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Gout
I am reading alot about red wine how about white wine
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2009
first alleged attack
I am 36 and just had my first alleged attack. I say alleged because it was not confirmed by seeing the crystals, and bloodwork regarding uric acid levels is not back yet. I am overweight, though not terribly so. I was dehydrated for a couple days before hand. I generally eat a pretty good diet, not alot of red meat. I love both beer and wine, although I had not had beer much these days, but did have a few before my symptoms. I had also eaten a significant amount of asparagus (high in purines) in the days before.

For my preferences, if I had to give beer or wine up, I'd give beer up first. I'd also switch to an entirely vegetarian diet rather than giving up wine. I also have no problem exercising & losing weight - I gained it being sort of sedentary the past year while my wife was pregnant (mercy weight).

My doctor suggested to me to cut back to 1 glass of wine per day. Also wants me to get my BMI back under 30.

I've seen the research studies, and I'm wondering how good of a job is done isolating variables? For example, the men in the study... were they also overweight? Were they eating a meat heavy fast food laden diet? And did they also drink wine?

I don't smoke, don't do drugs. I'm hoping I can save my one alleged vice, which is wine. Smile
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Drinking Fined Wines
I am a 71 year old male and have been drinking beer and wine all my life and gave up smoking 30 years ago.The last 10 years, I have been drinking 5 glasses of red wine daily that has NOT been fined.I go to a gym & swim daily keep and my BMI is 28-. I have had no illnesses until now with a swollen right elbow joint. Currently being assesed for gout. While I realise every one has a different lifestyle and body genes I have noted that wine makers fining wine with a culture of "Fish, Egg, Milk, caseine, polly etc.etc. I suggest that an unfined wine may be a better alternative for wine lovers.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Gout diet and wine
I am 68 and i had gout for years.
I changed my lifestyle completely and started living on fuits, salads ,little lean meat hardly any fats, and i have lost one and a half stones.Ilooked great ang generally felt much better but alas I carried on drinking mainly beer and my gout did not change for the better. I will endeavour now to stop drinking or drink one or 2 glasses of wine everyday.Maybe this is what I should have done in the first place. I will let you know of the results
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Experienced User
Make sure that you don't have sleep apnea.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Jobelrash here
Hi Pesteroni

Actually i dont hav a good idea abt all these but i hav a point to share with u all that, a site m not sure abt name that you can search like "Live chat with a Doctor " yes that is Healthcaremagic there we can discuss any medical issue/doubt/query with group of doctors they are online there to discuss and provide second opinion, hope it may be useful for Pesteroni Wink
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
Gout at 79 years of age
My mom has had gout for years and it comes and goes depending on her daily diet and exercise. Lately she's asked for some red wine and I was told that red wine is not good for her gout.

I guess one glass of red wine at night (in moderation) should be okay. We'll do an experiment and see how her gout reacts to 1 glass or less of red wine/night. We'll probably experiment it with and without her gout medication (colchicin).

TRM
|

replied May 11th, 2009
I have Gout
I had an occasional bout of gout and I drink on average one glass of red wine per day. Not too heavy on red meats,lots of fruits. When I feel the slightest tinge of a possible gout attack,I triple my water intake, forcing water down my throat mercilessly. My trips to the toilet triple as well and thats the secret. The more you urinate the less crystals and (uric) acid remain. Try it ! But really force the water down even when you are NOT thirsty. Consider it medicine and feel the acid leaving your body each time you have a toilet visit.
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
I agree with this 100%, drinking plenty of water on a daily basis is really key in preventing a gout flareup. Once you've had more than 1 attack you can recognize the symptoms of an upcoming attack; for me it is a noticeable tingling in my big toe joint that means "hydrate as much as you can stand" over the next few hours! It took me a while to figure that out but it really does work well. I used to be an almost daily beer drinker but have switched to vodka and it's made a world of difference; beer is made with brewer's yeast (duh, right?) and for me that is almost always a gout trigger. Drink water more than you want every day, don't eat red meat every day of the week, exercise regularly (and hydrate extra when you do) and then you'll be able to have your red wine regularly. Did I say to drink water? Good luck!
|

replied May 12th, 2009
gout
The water cure is definately worth a try. I will give it a go.
tonyccc
|
Quick Reply