Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Red painful bumps on face

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have these red sometimes painful red bumps on my face on on my neck and around my hair line they are not pimples what could this be? I have tried pimple creams and different face washes and nothing helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2010
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A10702
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the painful red bumps on your face, around the hairline and neck.
If this has not responded to the acne treatment, the painful red bumps could be boils and cluster of boils together is called as carbuncle. This is due to infection of skin, most commonly caused by Staph.aureus. You might need warm compresses and course of antibiotics to relieve the symptoms for which you must consult your dermatologist as definitive diagnosis cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.