Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Red lines on inner thighs and hips

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Our daughter has some reddish lines on the inside of her thighs and on the side of her hips. She is 13 soon to be 14 next month and a slim build. I can only imagine it is because she is growing so much at the moment. It makes me sad to see her cover up these marks with long clothing in this horrible heat we are having here in Sydney at the moment. Does anyone know if these marks are indeed only temporary and associated with growing. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile deteragram
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2009
Supporter
Could you be a little more specific? Is the skin itchy or irritated? Is the skin raised or flat?Aside from stretch marks (which will fade in time), I only found two causes of red lines on the body. The first cause is hookworms. But these are usually transmitted from a dog or cat and the skin usually itches. The second cause is Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III. This is a disease that causes hypermobility in joints. Can she bend her fingers backward without any pain or anything like that?
|

The skin is not itchy or irritated and not raised at all. She does not have a problem apart from the look of the fine red lines.

Many thanks for your reply
|

User Profile
Supporter
You're welcome. I know you said she is slim but has she had a growth spurt recently? Sometimes that can cause stretch marks. I know teens and body builders who are fit often get them because they grow faster than the skin can accomodate.
There was one article on spider veins. They usually have a sunburst pattern but sometimes they present as thin, straight, red lines. Puberty, birth control pills, pregnancy, or hormone replacement therapy may contribute to them.
I hope you find a solution to her problem.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Red Lines on Upper Arm
I get thin red lines on the inside of my upper arms from my elbow to arm pit. They go away after about a week. They do not itch and there is no pain associated with them. I just choose to wear long sleeve shirts to cover them, even during the summer months.

I think mine could possibly be related to heightened stress levels, but not sure. The red lines are real thin and anywhere from 1 - 3 inches long.

Any ideas?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2010
Supporter
I have not done any further research on this since my last post a year ago. If it is not caused by any of the things I mentioned previously, I don't know what it could be. Perhaps if the original poster found a solution or cause, she will be willing to share it.
Good luck in finding a solution.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
What are these red/brown squiggle lines on the sides of my thigh
I have 12-15 red/brown squiggle lines on each side of my hips. It's embarrassing, although I do have Type 2 Diabetes since February 2011, does this happen with other people who have this? The lines are now creeping over to the front of my thigh--no bikini/one-piece season for me. Any help, it's freaking me out.
|
Tags: skin
Quick Reply