Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Red, Itchy, flakey, burning, swollen eyelids

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
For the past year or so I have been having a problem with very itchy, swollen eyelids. I thought that it could be an allergic reaction to eye make up I was wearing, so I have thrown away many mascaras and eyeliners. I've tried different kinds/brands and the only thing that seemed to help a *little* for a very short time was liquid eye liner. However this did not clear up the problem. Over time, I realized that it was mainly localized right by the base of my eyelashes. I found it odd, however, that the inflamed, extremely red and at times flaky dry skin on my eye lids only appeared where I was applying my eye liner. I can only have my eye makeup on for a few hours before I start to itch the area (usually right where my eye lashes grow). At times it's so bad that I itch all of my eye makeup right off. If I leave my eye makeup on too long, my eyes secrete this thick substance, and become very red and irritated. I wash my eye makeup off the first chance I get, and I will still wake up the next morning with crusted over eyes. (They primarily itch when I have eye makeup on, and seem to be somewhat relieved, but very irritated when I remove the eye makeup from the area.) I've tried every single kind of over the counter ointment, eye drop, and lotion on my eyelids and nothing seems to be working. I thought for awhile that due to the dry flaky skin on my eyelids that it could just be because they were dry (as I am constantly rubbing or scratching my eyelids). The only thing that came of (on separate occasions and never combined) putting cetaphil cream, patroleum jelly, refresh p.m. eye gel, hydrocortizone cream & aquaphor on my eyelids, was that my actual eyes would get irritated from the products getting into my eye. Also, occasionally I would experience a burning sensation that would cause my eyelid to swell even more. Furthermore, being on this site and others, researching the symptoms I'm having, I have come across the possibility that it may be something called Blepharitis?! This scares me, as I have almost every single symptom. Red eyes, dry eyes (often), occasionally watery eyes, crusted eyes after waking in the morning, occasionally a gritty burning sensation in the eye, red swollen eye lids, flaking of the skin right above where eye lases grow on the top lid as well as on the lower lashes, misdirected eye lashes/missing eyelashes. I'm not sure if the missing/misdirected eyelashes are because I am always rubbing/itching my eyes... or if it's because of this Blepharitis. None the less... I am extremely concerned. I am wondering if it is simply an allergic reaction, or if it could be something as serious as an eye infection. Quite frankly I'm very concerned and I need help immediately, I feel that it is becoming worse.
Did you find this post helpful?
|