Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Red, itching penis & testicles - flaky skin

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
A few weeks ago I got a burning itching on my penis. It would get worse after sex with my wife (turned really reddish colored). Then it got very dry, rough and flaky, still itchy. My wife was getting itchy too so we assumed it was a yeast infection and used some Monistat cream on both of us. Hers went away within a few days but my itching persisted. We've never had a yeast infection before. There was a period of time where the skin on my shaft and head was almost shiny and papery .. still very itchy. Used the yeast infection cream for over a week and it's gotten somewhat better but still not cured.

The shininess seems to be mostly gone as well as the papery skin texture, but it still itches and flakes when it's not kept moisturized. Usually this is worst in the morning when I wake up. It's also itchy and flaky around my testicle sack. When it's dry and I scratch it, flakes of skin like dandruff come off. I've also had some skin cracks on the penis shaft which get painful if I get an erection.

So far I've tried the yeast infection cream but stopped using that now since it went over a week, I've tried vinegar once (OUCH!, that came right back off) and soaking in epsom salts. I've also applied yogurt because I heard that could help. What I'm currently using is coconut oil because it's supposed to be great for yeast related infections and itching. I started it yesterday and it doesn't seem to itch as much today although it was still dry and flaky this morning. When I take a shower I try to not scratch it but instead running very hot water over the area helps with the itching.

Another note is that this all seemed to start when we used Fire & Ice Trojan condoms as well as some warming gel. One time during a hand job using the warming gel was when my penis seemed to become really red and inflamed. I've heard that some of these warming things can trigger yeast infections as well.

Any ideas on what else I could/should do? It's really embarrassing to be itchy, and hard not having sex during this time too. I can post some pics if seeing the current symptoms would help at all. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bdearson
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Your symptoms suggest that the infection has persisted. The warming gel and condoms can induce yeast infections. Sometimes condoms can induce allergic reaction which can mimic yeast infection too.
Consider getting an examination done by an Andrologist or an Urologist to see what is going on. You might need to get the skin scraping test along with test on discharge done to identify the infection. If infection is detected, you might need oral medications along with topical ointments to control it. Get your wife also treated simultaneously to avoid chances of re-infection. Avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|

replied November 22nd, 2010
The redness has gone away and a lot of the itching has subsided since using coconut oil. The skin appears normal again, but just has some dryness which seems to be causing the itchiness. Do you think it's going away or the dryness is just from something else? The skin cracking also appears to have gone away.

I would go to a doctor if needed .. just don't really have the $$ right now (and no insurance) and since it's kind of an embarassing problem, I'm not really comfortable with having someone inspect my genitals.
|

replied January 29th, 2012
Been there
To both you and CMercier......I've had the problem you describe for about three months now and nothing I tried worked. As much as it sucked, I broke down and went first to my family doctor and then on to a dermatologist when family doc couldn't fix it. I've been using an ointment that the dermatologist prescribed called Fluticasone Propionate Ointment for a few weeks now and it has really helped. No more painful cracking, much less itching. I basically have no problems. However, the itching comes back after sex with my girlfriend, albeit in a much smaller area, and then I have to treat it again. Hopefully that'll go away over time too. Also, I was prescribed Protopic which I haven't tried yet because supposedly it can irritate your partner when having sex. Lastly, I've been using a hypoallergenic lotion to moisturize whenever I can because that helps work against the drying effects of the steroid ointment. Whatever you do, go to a doctor and stop suffering. You are not going to find anything OTC to fix it and you may actually do more harm than good. Good luck to you.
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Hello,
I wonder if you ever found a cure for your problem, I've been having the same problem for some time now, and sometimes it's better and other times worse, it's driving me crazy.
I appreciate any info you could share. Like you, I would like to avoid the doctor if possible, I simply cannot afford it, but that seems to be the generic response from most web sites I look to, "see a doctor". It's also quite embarassing....

Jim
|

I've had the problem you describe for about three months now and nothing I tried worked. As much as it sucked, I broke down and went first to my family doctor and then on to a dermatologist when family doc couldn't fix it. I've been using an ointment that the dermatologist prescribed called Fluticasone Propionate Ointment for a few weeks now and it has really helped. No more painful cracking, much less itching. I basically have no problems. However, the itching comes back after sex with my girlfriend, albeit in a much smaller area, and then I have to treat it again. Hopefully that'll go away over time too. Also, I was prescribed Protopic which I haven't tried yet because supposedly it can affect your partner when having sex. Lastly, I've been using a hypoallergenic lotion to moisturize whenever I can because that helps work against the drying effects of the steroid ointment. Whatever you do, go to a doctor and stop suffering. You are not going to find anything OTC to fix it and you may actually do more harm than good. Good luck to you.
|

Almost forgot to mention the diagnosis. Dermatologist calls it Lichen Simplex Chronicus (LSC) though I'm not entirely convinced. That's why I'm researching. No matter, the ointment is working for now. Drop me a line if I can help further. Sure would like to get this behind me.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
ok, i am not fixed. i mean i have skin over my penis and i have had yeast infection before but used what dr gave me and went away. now i went to dr two weeks ago and she gave me script for meds.. one pill a day for three days(came in a pill card with inly one pill each) took them and she gave me tube for athleats foot and said use two times a day. i have and its still sore and a little red and it iches all the time with or with out cream.what else could it be / been two weeks and no better at all. was flaky skin on out side a while, but now just a little and when i pull back the skin it hurts a lot as before.. Any ideas as to what it is or what to use? bill
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
I'm going through it now. did you ever find out what is was ?
|

replied November 15th, 2012
Urgent help
Recently I shaved my hair little bit hard around my pennis n testicles. After a week the area on my Pennis, tescticles and the area around got red and when I walk it gives me hell lot of pain, I'm using soframycin cream to get some relief but still after some time when i walk It's itching n I feel so much pain, Please help me and I'm scared if it creates any problem to pennis.
|

replied December 30th, 2012
i am having this problem as well. i went to my dr and he gave a script for 1000mg cream of Nistatin. it has only been a few days and it is working great !!! he said to have sex with the cream still on to cure my wife if any problems should arise.
|

replied May 6th, 2013
Well I hate to say this but I have been dealing with this for over 15 years. I am 40 now and my god it's awful. I have seen several doctors, dermatolgists, accupuncturitsts and Nateuropaths. I have taken every over the counter anti fungal known to man kind. I have tried several prescription cortisone creams, yeast creams, combination of both creams, etc. Yep all useless. I have found nothing that really makes it better. It's very embarrasing and very painful. I don't understand it well noone does. I have tried things for psoraisis or however you spell it. Gold bond cream and powder, baby powder, zinc oxide, diaper rash creams, vaseline, wow I have to stop. I would pay $$$$$$$ for the resolution of this. I shower every morning and evening. I have tired baby shampoo, super moisturizing body washes, and everything in between. I have no solution or help but would appreciate it if anyone does. It's silly but I have scratched at times so hard I have strarted bleeding. I know I scratch in my sleep too because sometimes I wake up and there is a little blood spot.
|

replied May 9th, 2013
Coconut oil cured my fungus infection.

It all started with athlete’s foot that I get sometimes. I was struggling with it because I have to wear shoes every day for work. It quickly became resistant to clotrimazole cream and I was then using terbinafine 1% which was working, along with some excessive hygiene measures. I must have introduced the fungus on to my penis, as a red itchy patch appeared on the under side of my foreskin and quickly spread to my scrotum. I saw a doctor and he advised me to use my terbinafine cream along with a steroid. This worked for a few days but then it came back worse and was not responding to terbinafine or clotrimazole. The Hydroquaterzone helped a bit but steroids only treat the inflammation, not the fungus. Steriods can also thin your skin with prolonged use, which is no good for your junk.

I have a scientific background and normally don’t get sucked in by home remedies, but I read that coconut oil has a special fatty acid that will breakdown the cell wall of any microbe. I had results within 8 hours. The skin just dried up and pealed off after a few days and has completely gone after 10 days. No more expensive ointments, no more steroids, no detox diets or toxic oral anti-fungal drugs. Coconut oil really works and it cost me $20 for a kilo. It’s soothing to apply and is also a great for cooking.

Please tell everyone. The pharmaceutical companies will hate this. Get well soon ppl.
|

replied September 18th, 2013
Hi Fixit84,

How did you apply the coconut oil and how long?

Thanks!
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Ive had this come up a few times and i treat it the same way each time. Get yourself some carmex in a squeeze tube, not the jar. Apply a generous amount to your entire shaft and penis head a few times a day and abstain from sex a few days. You will feel a slight burning when applied but it isnt painful. Id compare the feeling to applying medicated blistex on chapped lips and it only lasts a few minutes. I hope this works out for you as it has for me.
|

replied August 25th, 2013
i been also experiencing this itching in my penis and scrotum (with flaky peeling) also in my anus for almost 10 years till now,its very very itchy during night time,it comes and go, sometimes a couple of months no itching, then it so very itchy, when my anus become itchy even i rub it gently it came little irritated and worst sometimes it bleeding. I've been consulted to a doctor several times ,and applied some creams and take some oral pills but it didn't heal, last week i take terbinafine cream and terbinafine tablet for 2 weeks but still it didn't work..,
anyone could suggest for the remedy of it..,
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.