Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Red circular dry patches (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
So for the past several months I started noticing these red circular, somewhat scaly, dry patches that do NOT itch covering my thighs and now growing rapidly on my arms. I also think I noticed a really small one starting to develop on my stomach now, but it way too small for me to tell. These patches start out as very small striated red dots that grow to these patches within several days to weeks; some growing faster than others. The very first one started 7 months ago and it was really tiny. I thought it was a stretch mark at for a long time then all of a sudden, it turned into this round, really rough patch with a darker border and lighter in the middle. From every picture I've seen, the patches look like ringworm, or some other type of fungus at the very least. I thought maybe eczema, but again it is not itchy and lately ive been hearing Psoriasis. I went to the Dr. and they did a whole bunch of blood tests (Rheumatoid Factor, Lupus, Sarcoidosis, RPR, etc) all of which came back negative. The Dr. thought it WAS NOT ringworm, however, after the tests came back negative, he started leaning towards the possibility of tinea, but he couldn't give me a definite diagnosis. He prescribed me Clotrimazole (lotrimin). Ive been using the cream 3 days now and there is no difference, it actually looks like its getting worse. And I developed some sort of reaction on my arm after using it that went away after a couple of hours when I washed off the cream. The Dr. suggested that I go to a dermatologist to get it biopsied, but the only available appointment is a month from now and I dont have any health insurance. =/ There are pix below if that will help. Is there anyone who had this problem? Any suggestions? My legs and arms are disfiguring right before my eyes really really FAST! PLEASE HELP!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scotchy1
|
Users who thank dcara for this post: scotchy1 

replied December 28th, 2008
Just a quick note to say "Hello!"

I wondered if you now knew the diagnosis as I have the exact same thing.

Best wishes,
F
|

replied January 26th, 2009
OMG
I have the same thing! what is it?? Di you get an answer? I got a biopsy on mine, waiting for results!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied February 8th, 2009
biopsy
Did you ever get your results?
A friend has the same thing, and we are trying to find out what it is!
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Diagnosis
Generally if the patch is darker around the edge, lighter in the middle and in a circular shape then there is a possibility it is ringworm. This can be treated really easily with Lanisil cream, the same stuff used to treat Atheletes foot. If you scratch the patches they can become larger, or can spread so best apply the cream asap.

If it's re-occurring you can get Lanisil tablets from the doctor which kills the internal fungus. Otherwise it's just a minor skin condition.

Hope this helps!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
I have the same...?? All over abdomen now, after 3 weeks. I am trying Lanisil, but to no avail...
|

replied February 19th, 2009
i have it to but just one on my thigh. it doesn't look like ring worm though. is it possible that it could be something else?

Sarah
|

replied April 14th, 2009
It looks like Tinea Vesicular and you need to be put on nizoral. It is an oral antifungal.
|

replied April 14th, 2009
what could it be??
Wish we could all get some help. Mine seem redder than these pictures. They start small and grow to usually dime size or some alittle bigger. They are rough, red and round patches primarily on my arms and legs. I think I only had one this winter (shoulder), but now I'm wondering if they have anything to do with the sun since I've been out alittle and now have two above my knee, two on forearm, and two above elbow. I guess I'll have to try a dermotologist just in case they've seen something like this, but I don't have a lot of confidence in their prescribing drugs just to treat symptoms.
|

replied May 31st, 2009
Here's hoping...
I have something similar. I have a quarter-sized, oval-shaped rough patch on my upper arm and two tiny ones on my ribs. I think it could be Pityriasis Rosea. If so, I'm not looking forward to letting it run its course because there's really nothing you can do about it. It's harmless, though. And supposed to go away within 6-8 weeks.
I hope it isn't anything more serious!! I'm really worried, actually. While I was searching, someone dropped the word "lupus". >___>
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Just wondering if you found out what it was because this is the only forum I have found where someone has posted a condition sounding EXACTLY like what I have. I used a prescription anti-fungal cream that my dad had and some went away eventually but I'm not sure if it was due to the cream or not because it seems that others have gone away without the cream. It seems to take a very long time though. I know for sure it's not ringworm. Doesn't itch at all. Like I said, sounds like what you have...or had. Please let me know if yours has gone away and how. I'm just very interested in knowing what this is. I probably will be even after mine goes away completely, which is hopefully soon!
|

replied July 4th, 2009
I have the same issue. One single circular NON ITCHY raised dry patch of skin on my thigh. I will check back and hope that someone has an answer Smile I had pityriasis rosea a few years ago, but that was VERY ITCHY and supposedly once you get it once you don't get it again. I don't want to put anti fungal cream on it for fear of making the issue worse.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
my husband has something like this, and we are using prescribed antifungal cream, with no luck. they are reddish type rashes, fairly small, about the size of a dime or quarter, but lots of them on his chest, neck, and have now spread to arms and back. nothing seems to work.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
red fungus like rash.
You might use a soap or shampoo (like selsum blue) with sulphur in it. My husband gets a fungus like rash on his back, arms and neck from the sun. we use selsum blue and it seem to work. When bathing apply the shampoo to affected area and let set about 5-10 min. then rinse.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
red fungus like rash.
You might use a soap or shampoo (like selsum blue) with sulphur in it. My husband gets a fungus like rash on his back, arms and neck from the sun. we use selsum blue and it seem to work. When bathing apply the shampoo to affected area and let set about 5-10 min. then rinse.
|

replied August 12th, 2009
I've got this but I haven't gone to the doctor yet, what is it?!?
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Have no idea if its related but when I got over a knee reconstruction I was on pain killers for three months. Ever since as soon as I take ibuprofen I get a similar rash like you have. May be totally unrelated but as soon as I stopped advil my rash went away. My daughter also has something like yours but it seems to be ringworm. Also can't tell from pics but if those circular areas have lost their hair then its probably ringworm.take care
|

replied September 8th, 2009
Looks like what i have got its Psoriasis, i have used lots of different cream's but no effect. i have now found a cream which works you have to put it on at night as its very greasy.it takes a while to work prob 3/4 days but you will see it going and will leave you with like little lumps and they go after. hope it works i also take all in one vitamin tablets with mackeral fillets.
cream is called Dovobet ointment (calcipotriol+betamethasone)
Regards
Sean
|

replied September 15th, 2009
read this link, I had the same sort of thing

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic28937_ 120.html

i used medicated head and shoulders shampoo (blue bottle) and it cleared up within 2 weeks
|

replied December 14th, 2009
this really works!!!
i actually have the same thing. i went to a dermatologist and it is called nummular eczema. it is very itchy and at night it tends to drive me crazy! Ringworm often gets misdiagnosed for this. coconut oil organic works if you use it twicw a day. also a topical steroid works. i have tried many things to fix it and these are the only things that work! Biopsy is crazy! Find another doctor! Coconut oil you can find at wal mart with all the vitamins! Good luck and try it it works! It is on my legs and actually it has takin about a month to clear up!
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Circular spots that look dry
I once had that from my neck down to my thighs. My doctor told me to use Selsun Shampoo spread on me for one hour, once a week for 3 weeks. It was gone after the first treatment.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Red Scaly circular patches
My husband has the same thing. For a long time they were just on his thighs and buttocks. Since the holidays started two more have appeared one on the buttocks and one on the abdomen that we just found last night. Please let us know anything that any of you might find out.

Thanks, Janice
|
Tags: lupus, skin
Quick Reply