Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Red, bumpy, bald spot on scalp since childhood

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I've had this red bumpy bald spot for as long as I can remember. My parents said it was a birthmark, but looking at baby pics, I don't notice them. Could be because it was probably smaller back then.

I noticed recently that it's spreading. If you look at the picture, the darker less bumpy part has been there since I was a child...granted it did not look that way (it looked like the red bumps around it now)....but after many years of having this I guess that what it eventaully looks like. It feels pretty hard and not as soft so I know it can't be Kerion..plus I read that's not long term.

Red, bumpy, bald spot on scalp.
Can anyone tell what it is. ANything helps.

http://i45.tinypic.com/w6zgg3.jpg
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2012
Hi. My 7 year old was born with a rectangular, hairless spot on her scalp. It is pinkish, and bumpy, but flat. I forget the medical term for it- but her doctor said that after puberty, it is likely to grow, and develop larger lumps, and will continue to grow, and may need to be surgically removed. I remember him saying they are usually rectangular, or triangular. I would suggest you see a dermatologist, as if this is what my daughter has, it may keep growing.
|
Did you find this post helpful?