Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Red blotches when anxious

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but have any of you ever experienced rashes, say when nervous, excited, mad, or even upset?

To describe the above would be like I feel really hot, and it starts at my chest, and works its way up to my face, and then I am all blotchy, its a red blotchy rash that goes across my chest and neck. Anyways, this has become very frustrating, because although I have had this my entire life, it seems to be getting a little worse. I generally know the reasons why this happens, but I don't know how to control it. If any of you suffer from this, or could give some advice on what works for you, that would be great.

I've tried iced water before an anxiety provoking situation, I have tried inderal, and honestly sometimes nothing works. What is strange though, is that sometimes it will happen when I least expect it, and then vice versa, it won't happen when I think it might. It comes at the most embarrassing times it seems, such as in meetings etc.

It's not a huge deal I suppose, but its enough to make a person always feel self conscience, or feeling like you always have to wonder what if.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 11th, 2009
you're not alone!
I have been dealing with this exact problem all my life! It can be quite debilitating in social situations, as it feels like everyone is staring at your red face/chest! I have tried a beta blocker before (can't remember the name) and it helped, but I hated having to depend on a drug to feel comfortable.

If anyone has any advice, it would be wonderful!
|
Users who thank robocop84 for this post: bombalina 

replied March 11th, 2009
Thanks for your reply. From doing research, I can see that this is a common problem, however its so frustrating and actually very debilitating! cause you never know when it might happen!
I was prescribed Propanol (Inderol), I think it works a little, but not what I was expecting.
I just really want this problem to go away.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Same problem here. The issue started when I was in my early teens has continued ever since--I am 27 now. The red blotches do not itch, but they do tingle with heat so I can tell they are there. They are not raised welts like hives. They have the ability to appear and disappear in minutes. I find I have a higher chance of breaking out in the dry winter months with all the "fake heat" inside. The main situation that causes me anxiety is when I feel bad about making a mistake--instant blotchy flushing. If I am physically active (running) I do not break out. If the weather is humid, I have a lower chance of breaking out. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at breathing slowly, relaxing the muscles, and anticipating stressful situations. It's best to give the feeling a "whatever" attitude to help it go away faster. Most breakouts that sneak through now are when I watch movies or read books--sitting still, emotionally involved, high heart rate, elevated legs.
But yeah, it got better over the years as I became more acute to my skin's moods.
|

replied April 4th, 2010
Blotchy red neck & chest
I too suffer from this,it can be nerves,happiness,tiredness,anger,that brings me out in blotches all over my neck and chest,its got worse as iv got older and i jst cant bear it anymore. it makes u feel stupid and jst awful. i''m going 2 go 2 my doc as iv had a terrible couple of weeks with them flaring up for the slightest thing,iv startd making excuses not 2 go places,eg,meals r the worst. partys, etc. help!! becky x
|

replied January 23rd, 2011
i have had this same problem im only 15 but it has ruined my social life! whenever im in school and something embarrising happens or whenever it just decides to come i get red. really red. my teachers have actually asked me to go to the nurses office which was awful:/ at my school im known as the girl who gets really red and weird:( but what i have found to help is to take this pill called.. natrol 5-HTP its a drug free pill that calms you down and stuff it seems to help a lot:) also to get a little tan so its less noticable..hope this helps you out:)
|

replied January 23rd, 2011
i have had this same problem im only 15 but it has ruined my social life! whenever im in school and something embarrising happens or whenever it just decides to come i get red. really red. my teachers have actually asked me to go to the nurses office which was awful:/ at my school im known as the girl who gets really red and weird:( but what i have found to help is to take this pill called.. natrol 5-HTP its a drug free pill that calms you down and stuff it seems to help a lot:) also to get a little tan so its less noticable..hope this helps you out:)
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Red and Blotchy, definite triggers, even when i'm happy
Thanks for everyones post. I too have struggled with these issues which began soon after my mom died when i was 18. I had several horrible stressful situation for many years, and now that life has settled down, i still have this issue. Fair skin - anything is a trigger... What i found works best is taking allergy med everyday. Over the counter - Alevert. And prior to big time meetings i take half an Ativan. I'm not on any other medication for depression, but now that i recognize that this happens to me, i just try to take preventive steps.
|