Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Recurring stabbing head pains, lasts days, meds ineffective

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 31-year old woman in good health. Since I was 27, I've been experiencing sharp, stabbing pains in my head. Here are the symptoms:
- These pains last anywhere from 1-5 days
- They occur anywhere from my upper shoulders to the crown of my head
- They are always in the same area for the duration of the headache (though the next time I have this kind of headache, the location is different).
- The location is so specific that my skin is sensitive to the touch where I'm experiencing the headache.
- In between the stabbing pains, I feel no discomfort.

The pain varies from minor to so intense I may stumble if standing upright, and each "stab" occurs on its own or in a cluster of up to 3, lasting only an instant or up to two seconds. The clusters reoccur with varying regularity, sometimes every few seconds to longer stretches between.

I've kept a headache journal for several months, and could detect no discernible pattern - other than occasionally they are tied to times when I've got a sore throat. They seem to go in patches where I won't get one for several months, to a "bad patch" where I get them every couple of weeks.

I have been to two doctors and a neurologist. All suggested it was some variation on a migraine - specifically, an icepick headache. However, I feel that whatever I'm experiencing is different than an icepick headache in two ways:
1. The duration of the headache - nothing I've read suggests the headache would last for up to 5 days.
2. Meds are ineffective - I've been prescribed Indocin and Imitrex, neither of which affected the pain in any way.

What other possibilities should I be exploring? Could it be a nerve problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
|